Confidence: Major Key

Confidence: Major Key

Confidence can make or break your athletic career.

7
Confidence: Major Key
Health.com

Confidence can be improved and can make all the difference in the world on the court or on the field. Where as lack of confidence can have a devastating effect on an athlete’s performance. When an athlete is more confident they play more aggressive and play harder. Just like physical performance though, confidence can be improved.

Athletes shouldn’t fear failure. As a coach or trainer, it is important for them to make sure that their athletes can accept failure. The best professional athletes know they're going to miss shots or make mistakes from time to time, but because they have confidence in their ability, they never give up. During his career, Michael Jordan missed more shots than he made. Imagine what might have happened if he stopped playing hard because he was having an off-shooting day. The only way to avoid missing shots is to stop shooting. An athlete cannot be afraid to fail. Coaches have to teach their players that in the beginning or the athlete’s performance will be affected.

Whenever a team steps on the court or field, their objective is to win. However, the desire to win shouldn't cause you to lose sight of your most important goal—doing your best.

The best team doesn't always win; it's the team that plays the best that usually wins. There's no shame in losing if you do your best. Sometimes your opponent is simply better than you. Other times, it's just a matter of bad luck. Instead of worrying about wins and losses, focus on doing your absolute best. The wins will come if you and your teammates play hard. Focus on doing your best rather than being the best.

Confidence is vital to any athlete and coach. The coaches have to be willing to help their athletes self-confidence improve if they wish for their athlete to succeed.