Confessions Of UMass Dartmouth Students

Confessions Of UMass Dartmouth Students

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but a few things keep sticking out when it comes to issues about campus.
289

Recently, I asked the students of UMass Dartmouth to share with me the biggest issues they have with the school. There are a few sessions for students to voice their concerns about campus, but a lot of things seem to go unnoticed.

Please hear us out.

On the issue of: Wifi

"Unreliable wifi"

- Jamie, 21

The wifi is famous for always leaving us at the most inconvenient time. With the banning of routers across campus in an effort to "speed up UMASSD-A", students have lost their ability to have better speeds at home. A lot of wireless things that could be used with ease before are either no longer available or an absolute pain to set up (ChromeCast, XBox, etc.).

On the issue of: On campus transportation

"How they changed the times for the retail shuttle and cut back on the hours."

- Alexandra, 19

"Lack of shuttles running on weeknights. I work at 7pm a few nights a week in a building across campus, and never have I seen any shuttles running when I have to leave my building, though they are supposed to start at 6pm. When walking I notice maybe 2 out of the 12 are missing from their section of the parking lot. We pay too much money to not be able to catch a shuttle to get around campus in the near freezing temperatures starting around this time of year."

- Juliette, age unknown

On the issue of: Parking

"Not enough parking, yet higher prices for a parking pass"

- Kimberly, 20

Having to pay full price for a parking pass for only needing it for half a semester"

- Lyndsy, age unknown

Parking passes are wayyy to expensive. And they keep cutting funds from certain departments.. If you want to know more about the funding issue I would be glad to explain."

- Breezy, age unknown

"I keep getting tickets"

- Dan, 19

"Requiring us to pay for a parking pass is pretty much stealing unless we have working cameras in the parking lot. Especially when parking is so limited and prices are so high. I can't believe this hasn't been brought up more .... isn't this extortion? They justify prices with cameras, cameras don't work. Prices go up, number of spaces goes down."

- Rachael, age unknown

"Having to park miles from your destination is not only annoying during the day but it can be extremely unsafe at night. I don't live in the apartments but it's ridiculous that those who do can't even park relatively close to their building and have to walk in the dark (likely alone). There should be more parking bottom line and parking passes should mean you can in the majority of campus parking locations. I've gotten 2 tickets within the week and I bought the decal in September. It's just a rip off.. we are paying for non existent parking essentially"

- Maria, age unknown

To be fair to the parking issues stated, a staff member of the parking office also made a fair point:

"In rebuttal to all the parking complaints I would just like to point out although the prices have increased we still have some of the cheapest parking decals for Massachusetts state universities. For example I used to attend Framingham State university and I had to pay $500 to park a mile off campus and due to safety I had to wait for a shuttle to reach my car. I can understand the frustration in the lack of parking but we have it pretty good here believe it or not. And I know some schools get parking for free but in order for them to do that the schools work the parking price into everyone's tuition even if they don't have a car on campus. Nothing is free, that's just the way the cookie crumbles"

- Courtney, 22

On the issue of: Security

Absolutely the lack of security cameras. That's a big problem in the parking lots. If they could just put them up in the parking lots that'd be a million times better than what we have now"

- Dani, age unknown

"THE LACK OF CAMERAS my NEW (to me) car got keyed last week while parked outside of ivy for 5 minutes and although they could check ivys' cameras to see who came in and out during the 5 minutes it most likely won't happen. I just don't get how we can't get more cameras."

- Jessy, age unknown

We really need more cameras.

On the issue of: Class availability

"classes only being offered one semester a year so that people have to stay a whole extra semester or year if something goes wrong or they cant get into the class, overall the advising system in general not being helpful/easy/convenient to navigate, lack of emphasis of the education side of things in general when if comes to the facilities of the university (we are in school primarily to learn and when a professor can't show a presentation because of tech issues or you can't hear the professor speaking because of construction outside or you can't get proper rest to refresh yourself for the next day of studying and learning because your dorm room is too hot/cold, that is a problem), also gym is too small but I think the academic issues are far more important"

- Eve, 20

"I hate that I've had to delay my graduation date because they screw up when and what semesters you can take certain classes and then only having time option..."

- Megan, age unknown

I can attest to the classes situation. A lot of classes are only offered on a semesterly basis, meaning if the class is full and you can't enroll, you fail a course and need to retake it, you receive an incomplete grade because of an illness or emergency, you're pretty much screwed and can't make up that class until the following year.

And finally, this student's response with no text needed:

-Chris, 19