Love Is About Compromising But Only To An Extent
relationships

Sure, Love Is About Compromising With Your Partner, But Only To An Extent

No one, no matter how much they love you or you love them, should be making you compromise on your beliefs, hobbies, and your wants and needs.

75

Love is compromise.

You will hear and read that everywhere you go. And to some extent, that is true. When you are in a relationship, you will have to compromise on a lot of things with your significant other. It isn't all about you anymore. It's about the two of you together. Both of you will have different ideas and approaches that will need to be mended for the relationship to work. And, that is something you should be doing. You should be able to let go of some things or change them a little bit to make your partner happy. You should be able to go out of your way once in a while to please your partner. Compromises are good and healthy for the relationship. However, one thing you should never do is compromise who you are.

Being yourself and doing what you love is what you should be doing. No one, no matter how much they love you or you love them, should be making you compromise on your beliefs, hobbies, and your wants and needs. Instead, if someone really loves you, they would encourage you to be yourself and not settle or completely change.

Your partner is supposed to complement and encourage your dreams and goals and your personality. They are supposed to love you for who you are as a whole. There obviously can be some dislike in a character trait, but they should be understanding and communicate that with you to come to a compromise without completely changing who you are.

For example, let's say your partner finds you too loud in social gatherings. To you, that's your personality. You are very outgoing and friendly. There's nothing wrong with that. But, he would prefer if you were a little quiet and reserved. What he should not do is tell you to stay quiet and only talk when necessary whenever you guys are socializing with other people. That would be compromising who you are. The correct approach would be to talk to you about how feels and for you guys to figure out a way to come to a conclusion. For instance, if his family is really quiet and you being so loud maybe disrupts the atmosphere, he can ask you to tone it down a bit at family gatherings but let you be yourself when you guys are with your friends. In this case, you're not compromising who you are as a whole, just rearranging yourself a little for his happiness.

The right partner will love you for who you are, not who they want you to become. If someone is trying to change you and your personality, that is a red flag. Remember, you should make compromises in a relationship, but you should never compromise yourself.