How This Common Party Drug Ingredient Can Cure PTSD

MDMA is known to help cure PTSD and is commonly found in Ecstasy

71
The Drug Classroom

One of the main ingredients in Ecstasy is MDMA which is an ingredient to help patients with PTSD. According to the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS), MDMA can be proven to help PTSD by affecting certain hormones in the brain as well as creating a higher understanding of the “reality” versus the mindset of PTSD (Live Science). MAPS is an organization that advocates for medical research on psychedelic substances. Currently, talk therapy is the best therapy for treating PTSD, along with medicines that can target the symptoms of this disease. MDMA could help patients with the way that they handle talking about PTSD because of the hormones it triggers, rather than substituting talk therapy with solely Ecstasy.

The main hormone that MDMA increases is the level of serotonin which is correlated with happiness and self-esteem. MDMA also affects the level of oxytocin which means that people are less likely to take facial expressions in a threatening tone which can be beneficial for PTSD victims who tend to be oversensitive and “on-the-lookout”. Another hormone that it affects is prolactin which is known as the “post-orgasmic” state by relaxing and satisfying people. MDMA can cause patients minds to be flooded with neurotransmitters that are proven to make them feel good. Since the same neurons that encode memories are all firing the same way as they did when the memory was formed, patients can recall a memory and revise them to new connections and strengthen the old ones.

Furthermore, when PTSD patients sense of judgment is tainted by the fear that is so prevalent, MDMA works to combat that. PSTD patients aren’t going to feel the typical euphoria that Ecstasy causes users to feel. While fear of not being able to process the true pain if they’re under the influence is a real fear that many people have, it has been proven that quite the opposite is true. In fact, MDMA helps patients work through their PTSD without being overwhelmed. It is also a common concern for misusing and abusing the drug for purposes other than prescribed. A way that this could be prevented is if it is only given out through specialized clinics, rather than a regular pharmacy.

However, like with any drug, MDMA does have negative side effects. The drug can cause jaw-clenching, decreased appetite, increased blood pressure, and an increased pulse. There are still more studies being conducted on other possible side effects from this drug. A restriction on who can use it is people who have heart disease because this drug causes your blood pressure and pulse to increase significantly similar to vigorous exercise. Also, like with any drug, the street-kind and the medical-kind are both different in terms of safety and the quality of ingredients.

Street type of drugs often have additives that aren’t approved clinically. It is common to fear brain damage after using this drug. Due to the high number of molly users that have some type of brain damage, it is easy to blame the harder drug they’re using. However, it is proven that molly isn’t what causes the brain damage, but instead it is the other drugs they’re using simultaneously. In the end, it comes down to personal opinion and reaction towards this treatment tool. It might not work as well for everyone. Currently, Ecstasy is seen as a viable option for curing the incurable.

Sources:

http://www.mdmaptsd.org

https://www.livescience.com/57096-ecstasy-mdma-pts...