The Most Frequent Drinks I Have Made As A Barista And How You Can Make Them Better

I've picked up a thing or two along the way.

146
https://unsplash.com/photos/Azvg8wlyIU8

As a Starbucks barista, you have to do a lot more than just make drinks (I know, I've said this before). Specifically, you have to be able to make around 84,000 different combinations. Do you have to memorize this many? God, no, that's what drink stickers are for! But, it's best to be familiar with the recipes so you can both order and make them exactly how you like it! I mean, why pay $4+ for a drink and not like it? The price is basically a built-in insurance policy saying you can ask for a different drink if you don't like the one you ordered. F.Y.I, these are going to be on the sweeter side so you can ask for fewer pumps of syrup or substitute a different flavor.

Iced caramel macchiato, substitute caramel or toffee nut instead of vanilla.

Flickr

With the caramel macchiato whether hot or iced, the first sip or two is going to be mostly espresso because the shots go on top of the milk before the caramel drizzle. It comes with vanilla syrup as the standard, but a lot of customers will substitute toffee nut or caramel syrup for more of a candy bar flavor. If you like the espresso and milk to be mixed, just swirl it with the straw. Pro tip: ask for extra caramel drizzle (it's free because it's already included in this drink's recipe)!

Strawberry acai lemonade with guava juice. 

Flickr

I always get this drink on a super hot day or when I'm needing a little more caffeine than what's in our iced teas. The strawberry acai refresher with lemonade is already very sweet on its own, but I add a splash of guava juice for another dimension to the flavor profile of the drink and it cuts the sweetness of the lemonade to create an overall balance. Plus, it's only an extra 50 cents so why not treat yourself?

Iced peach green tea lemonade with guava juice.

Flickr

This drink is one of my ALL TIME favorites. Granted, I haven't been working at Starbucks for a while compared to how often new drinks come on the menu, but I've been here through the Smores Frappucino, the (permanent!) Cloud Macchiatos and two seasons of holiday drinks. Anyway, a customer mobile ordered this drink and added guava juice to it and a fellow partner and I were curious and tried it. It's DELICIOUS, but again it will be higher in sugar because of the added guava so I would advise against it if you're trying to cut down on sugar.

Other honorable mentions include chai tea lattes with vanilla syrup, matcha green tea lattes with soy milk and vanilla, and the double shot on ice with toasted white chocolate mocha (a limited-time holiday sauce) and extra half and half. I list these drinks separately because they run on the higher end in terms of price while the drinks listed above are at most $6.00 depending on the location. Happy sipping!