Coming To Terms With My Identity

Coming To Terms With My Identity

The time that the Sorting Hat put me in Slytherin and I had an identity crisis.

126
Coming To Terms With My Identity
Flickr

" Harry Potter" is a series that I hold close to my heart. Its lessons of friendship, love, perseverance and coming of age really helped define my childhood. Along with this, I came to identify with different characters, storylines and the houses.

From learning about the values of Ravenclaw, I knew immediately I belonged.

"Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,
If you've a ready mind,
Where those of wit and learning,
Will always find their kind;"
- "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" by J.K. Rowling, page 118

Growing up, I prided myself on my academics and valued learning, especially in middle school. I already had started thinking about college and my future. I was like Hermione, someone who valued learning. I was always eager to raise my hand, answer the question, and share an opinion. Also like Hermione, others found me annoying. But for the most part, I turned the other cheek and kept striving for excellence. Hermione inspired me and being a Ravenclaw gave me a place where I can freely enjoy learning and keeping an open mind.

In 2012 when "Pottermore" was created, I was excited. It was a way for me to connect with other fans, learn about different aspects of the series and most importantly, find out once and for all what my house is, from Queen JK Rowling herself. I took the quiz and lo and behold, I was sorted into Ravenclaw!

I was excited that I finally was put into Ravenclaw once and for all. Many people were excited that year to finally be able to know their houses and understand them. The website was able to teach people about their houses, wands, and give illustrated versions of the book. "Pottermore" was a way to continue the magic of "Harry Potter" even after the books and movies were finished.

A few years later, "Pottermore" was getting redone. There was a new design, new purpose, but many fans were upset. The Sorting Ceremony disappeared as well as several interactive parts as well. But early this year, the game was reopened and the Sorting Ceremony was back! I did not take it, though, until this month!

I read about the release of the Patronus test, and that was something that I always wanted to find out! So I created a new account and I saw that I could reclaim my old username, but the website told me they couldn't find it. So, I did something ballsy and created a new account.

I knew I was going to be resorted and was almost sure I would be put in Ravenclaw again. I lived and breathed Ravenclaw pride and I was excited to find out if I was still truly a Ravenclaw. If I wouldn't have been put in Ravenclaw, then Hufflepuff would be the next house.

I took the quiz and was feeling confident about my answers. They were a bit difficult, but inspired a lot of introspection. I wasn't sure how long the test would be, but then the screen completely changed. All of a sudden the screen filled with green.

The welcome message also appeared: "...we're not bad people. We're like our emblem, the snake: sleek, powerful, and frequently misunderstood." I was sorted into Slytherin.

I had no idea what to do. This was the last house I expected to be sorted into and I didn't realize just how important belonging to a house was for me.

Why did I care so much? Why did I actually tear up when I was resorted into a completely different house? Well, because of what "Harry Potter" means to me. Much like our parents grew up with "Star Wars", "Star Trek", and "Lord of the Rings," we grew up with the phenomenon of "Harry Potter." My life was filled with reading the books, going to the midnight showings, and constantly discussing headcanons. This series defined much of my life. It's the reason I started reading, writing, and why I am the person I am today.

Identifying with a house in a series that was so important to me made me feel as if I could be a part of the world. While I was reading, I got away from the world and saw myself in that world. For the amount of time I read and watched the movies, Hogwarts was my home.

So being sorted into Slytherin flipped my world upside down. Rowling didn't necessarily give the house a great reputation from the beginning.

"Not Slytherin. Not Slytherin."
- "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" (2001)

From the beginning, Slytherin is known as the "evil" house, where dark wizards come from. I saw Ravenclaw as the "smart" ones, Gryffindor as the "brave" ones, and Hufflepuff as the "helpful" ones. But Slytherin, with its snake as its symbol and the common room in a dark dungeon, has a history of darkness and the Dark Arts. I was disappointed in being sorted into Slytherin and I frantically searched for values of Slytherins and how I connected with them.

These quotes from Pottermore's welcoming message really stuck out to me.

"We Slytherins look after our own." I joined a sorority almost a year ago and throughout college, I have discovered that my friends are my family. I've learned what it means to be loyal and what it means to truly belong to a group of people who love you, respect you, and will support you no matter what. Slytherin, though they're portrayed as the bullies, stick by each other through thick and thin.

"You’ve got the potential to be great." I've become more ambitious since going to college. I've taken up many leadership roles and gotten out of my comfort zone. Slytherins are also intelligent. Crabbe and Goyle may not be their role models for that, but Slytherin has been the house for Merlin, Draco Malfoy, Slughorn, and Severus Snape. These characters are intelligent, cunning, and ambitious.

Since taking the test almost four years ago, many things have changed in my life. I went to college, became an adult, grown, and matured. I have learned that it is okay to get out of my comfort zone and be a leader. Ravenclaw is something that I identified with for most of my life. But I have become a completely different person since then, and I have grown to be a Slytherin. I may not be 100% embracing it now, but I will learn to be a Slytherin with pride!