Colts Land Frank Reich As Next Head Coach

A successful career returns to its coaching origins.

255

After a rather interesting offseason spent searching for Chuck Pagano’s replacement, the Indianapolis Colts have finally found their new head coach in Frank Reich, inking him to a five-year deal.

Reich spent the 2016-17 seasons as the offensive coordinator for the Philadelphia Eagles and won Super Bowl LII with the team before returning to the Colts where his professional coaching career began.

"Frank has all the ingredients of a successful head coach: intelligence, innovation, character, organizational and leadership skills, and a commanding presence. He also has a stellar reputation, and his myriad of life experiences and the people he has worked with make him the perfect fit for us and our fans. I feel extremely fortunate and could not be more excited for Colts Nation and the future of our franchise,” said Colts’ owner and Ceo Jim Irsay.

The hiring of Frank Reich leaves the Eagles in a tough spot, though, as they not only have to hire a new quarterbacks coach since John DeFilippo became the Vikings’ new offensive coordinator, but they now have to look for a new offensive coordinator, as well.

On the contrary, Reich’s career move puts the Colts in a great position to have a better season in 2018 than they did this past year, finishing at 4-12. The decision to hire Reich could be crucial to the Colts’ 2018 season as QB Andrew Luck, who played just 22 games in the last three NFL seasons, is still rehabbing from a big shoulder injury that sidelined him for the entire 2017 season, and QB Jacoby Brissett will look to shake off his inexperience as an NFL starter.

Colts GM Chris Ballard spoke on his decision to hire Reich, saying:

“Frank is a leader of men who will demand excellence from our players on and off the field. I look forward to working with Frank to deliver a championship-caliber team to the city of Indianapolis.”

Mr. Reich, who has racked up more than a quarter-century of experience playing at and coaching the quarterback position, will have his hands full immediately with finding a solution to the Colts’ quarterback dilemma but, as his past two years in Philadelphia has shown, he is more than capable of molding young quarterbacks into MVP-winning players and humble leaders in the locker room.

"Frank is a tremendous coach and very deserving of this opportunity. He was a valuable member of our staff, and we have all benefited from working with him over the last two years," Eagles coach Doug Pederson said in a statement. "As good as he is as a leader and teacher, he's an even better person. We could not be more excited for him as he takes this next step in his career, and we wish him and his family all the best."

Having worked with quarterbacks such as Peyton Manning, Philip Rivers, Carson Wentz and Nick Foles, Frank Reich has now tasked himself with the challenge of developing yet another set of young, talented quarterbacks while being responsible for an entire team this time.

As a South Philadelphia native and die-hard Eagles fan, it has been difficult (to say the least) seeing you go, Mr. Reich, but you deserve this opportunity, and I wish you the best of luck in Indianapolis.

Thank you for your time here in Philadelphia and for all the work you have put in to give my city our first Super Bowl championship. You will forever be a beloved legend in the City of Brotherly Love.