Your College's Zipcode Shouldn't Be Your Biggest Concern
Life Stages

You're still furthering your education, so what's the difference?

48
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d9/Spirit_Splash.jpg

We're only a week into August and I've already seen Snapchats and tweets about the new school year starting. It's hard to believe that just two years ago I was embarking on another educational path. There's a lot to worry about when it comes to starting college. However, worrying about not going away for college shouldn't be one of those concerns.

Growing up, I always thought it was a set in stone thing that you graduated high school and moved hundreds of miles away to go to college. I had it instilled in my mind that moving out of your parents' house and spending thousands of dollars for a better education was the only way you were going to be successful. It wasn't until the end of my senior year of high school that I accepted my fate of staying in the same county for college. My school was a community college turned state college, yet it still got a bad reputation.

A lot of people who

were going away to bigger universities seemed to shame the people who weren't. I remember the condescending tones of disapproval like it was yesterday. Those same people now preach about how amazing it was to get away from their hometowns, how they've had the absolute best time at their new school and how you're "doing it wrong" if you don't take the chance to move away.

What those people forget to acknowledge is that everyone's circumstances are different and sometimes moving away to a university isn't an option. Some families are financially burdened and cannot afford to send their kids off. Scholarships and financial aid can be a big help, but sometimes it just isn't enough. Some people aren't mentally ready to move out. Some people have no clue what they want to do with their future and therefore want to stay closer to home while they figure it out. Whatever the reason is, you are in no place to judge.

Regardless, you are still getting a college education. You're all taking the same courses. You're all learning the same material. You're all still working towards your future. One of the only true differences is the amount of money you're spending to do this.

I know a lot of people will argue that the "college experience"—dorms, roommates, parties, studying at the library until four in the morning, being on your own for the first time—is a rite of passage. I'm sure they're not wrong. Good for them for being in a position to do it. While I may not have had the same experience that everyone typically associates with college, at least I can say I went to my classes and continued my education just like everyone else.

So if you're one of those kids who wasn't able to attend a college outside of their hometown, don't stress it. You have so many other things to be concerned about.