A Message To Incoming College Freshmen

A Message To Incoming College Freshmen

Enjoy your last moments of high school while you can.

651
A Message To Incoming College Freshmen

As I am about to start the spring semester of my junior year of college, I can’t help but think about just how far I have come. It’s hard to believe that it’s been almost three years since I graduated from high school. Looking back, I realize that I really had no idea what I was getting myself into when preparing to start my college journey. There are many things that I wish had known going into the final moments of my high school days. Hopefully, my sharing these things with you will help you to learn from my mistakes.

First off, what everyone says is true: your last semester is going to fly by very quickly. As eager as you are to graduate and start this new chapter in your life, take the time to enjoy everything going on around you in this moment. There isn’t a time machine that can take you back, so you have to relish the time that you have right now. In a few months you’ll be independent, so enjoy the carefree life while you can.

College is nothing like high school. In some ways, it is easier; in other ways, it is much more difficult. If you were the type of student that never really had trouble when it came to grades, prepare to work a lot harder in college. You will have to learn how to actually study your notes, not just review them. For the most part, you will have less work, but the work is more complicated, and takes longer to complete. There are little to no worksheets in college, so be prepared to do some real work.

Learn to step out of your comfort zone. You’re going to be open to a ton of opportunities at your new school, many of which you never would have been interested in before. Sign up for clubs and events and get to know people. Talk to the people in your classes, because many of them will be in classes with you for the next four years. Get to know your professors because they can offer you help in the future, whether it’s references on a resume or advice for your job-search.

Remember that it is okay to change your mind. Many people change their majors during their first or second year of college; some even change schools. You’re not always going to get it right the first time, and it is perfectly fine to start fresh and try again. You may discover something (or some place) that makes you much happier, and it is much better to start over than to stay on a path that makes you miserable.

Finally: I want you to know that peer pressure doesn’t stop after high school. Remember that you don’t have to do anything that you don’t want to do. Don’t feel like you have to go to a party just because all of your friends are going. It’s perfectly fine to want to stay in and finish your homework or study for a test. You are here to get an education.

The first semester of college is going to suck. You’re more than likely going to be completely unprepared and do a lot of stupid things. You will continue to learn from your mistakes and grow as a person. So, make the best of every situation and enjoy your newfound freedom.