How to Survive College

How to Survive College

12 Things I Wish I Had Known My Freshman Year

10
How to Survive College
educationusa.state.gov

When I began my freshman year in 2014, I thought I knew what I was doing. I was convinced I wasn’t going to be “that Freshman” who got lost on the first day of classes, who wore a lanyard everywhere, who wrote every single word down that the professors spoke, and who gained the Freshman 15.

If you’re a freshman, don’t feel bad if you do any or all of those things. There is nothing wrong with being a “typical” freshman. You’re what I like to call a “college baby.” Just like actual babies, knowledge and understanding come from just being alive. The more you live, the more you learn. It’s the same way with college. The more you college, the more you’re able to successfully college. You’re a freshman, you’re learning, and you may not get it right the first time. That’s okay!

Hopefully this article can help you get the hang of college sooner! I’ve compiled a list of things I wish I had known before starting college. Trust me, some things are better to know before you experience them.

1. Invest in a good daily planner and write down when assignments, projects, and exams are due.

The biggest lie I ever told myself was “I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it!” Wrong! In the chaos of college, you will forget to do a lot. And make sure it is a planner and not just a random piece of notebook paper. Don’t lie to yourself, you’ll lose that piece of notebook paper. You’re more likely to keep track of a planner. Just make sure you use it. I highly recommend Five Star or Vera Bradley planners.

2. Use a Roommate Contract.

If you are planning to live on campus, you will have a roommate. Unless you already know your roommate, the first few weeks may be a bit awkward. Most dorms/apartments already require a Roommate Contract, if yours doesn’t, find one on Pinterest and do it anyway! Roommate Contract’s help roommates talk through certain preferences, bed times, study times, whether or not you’re okay with them using your things, whether or not you want your room to become a social hang-out spot, etc,.

3. Get physical exercise three times a week, for at least 30 minutes.

Gone are the days of mandatory P.E. classes that occur mid-day and leave you with a sweaty sheen covering your skin the rest of the day. That being said, you have to be intentional about keeping healthy. Take responsibility and carve out time to go to the gym and workout. If that means going out and purchasing a gym membership, then so be it, but I’d like to draw you attention to a free resource, the school’s recreation center. It is available to all students’, not just athletes and it is open from early in the morning to late at night. Even if you only go for 30 minutes, you’re still burning calories and staying in shape. Plus, studies show that cardio increases blood flow to the brain which helps increase concentration and memory retention.

4. The Freshman 15 is not just a joke.

If I had to guess, the majority of Freshmen end up gaining weight their first year. I can’t really blame them. The same thing happened to me, and I spent my Sophomore year losing it. You’re no longer under your parent’s roof, you can eat what you want, when you want, and to the extent that you want. Much to your excitement (I’m sure), the majority of food found on campus is fast food! There is Chick-fil-a, Subway, Dunkin’ Donuts, etcetera, all within walking distance! The school cafeteria might seem like a better choice, but I have to warn you-- there were days I wasn’t too sure what I was eating. Here’s the thing, college is the time in your life when you take on the most responsibility and learn the most self-control. You are allowed to indulge yourself and buy that Chick-fil-a sandwich, large fry, and large Dr. Pepper, but there are also times when you need to resist temptation and eat a healthier option.

It’s difficult to find healthy options but here’s a brief cheat sheet:

Chick-fil-a :

Grilled Chicken Sandwich

Grilled Chicken Wrap

Fruit Cup

Market Salad

Subway:

Get sandwiches on wheat bread, without cheese, and a dressing that isn’t cream based (italian, oil, vinegar, etc,.)

Chopped Salads (use spinach instead of iceburg lettuce)

Einstien’s:

Chicken Noodle Soup

Whole wheat bagel with reduced-fat Shmear

Choose one of their many different salads

5. Don’t hole yourself up in your room, get out, make friends, attend school events, and have fun!

I spent the majority of my freshman year holed up in my room studying because I hadn’t quite figured out how to balance learning and having a life. Know when you need to bunker down and study and know when you can take a break. You’ll remember the time you spent outside of your room more than the time you spent buried under textbooks. Now, I’m not telling you to blow off your studies to go have fun. Nope. Learn to balance the two, you’re in college to learn and earn a degree but you’re also there to figure out who you are. Embrace it.

6.Get involved in campus activities.

Freshman year is all about experiences. While you are maintaining that 3.7 GPA (you can do it!), you should also be enjoying what campus life has to offer. Attend Dorm Wars, join an ensemble, try out for Shenanigans, join an intramural team, become a floor leader or community builder, do something! There are plenty of groups, teams, and clubs to join. Find one that you like and try it out!

7.Handwrite all of your notes.

I know it sounds tedious but trust me, it’s for your own good. I came into college wanting to take notes on my laptop. I’d seen movies about college, they use laptops and I was going to as well. After typing notes for 1 class, I realized I hadn’t retained any of the information. I literally did not remember a single thing I typed. I started handwriting my notes and I found that I retained more information and was able to customize and draw out things the professor said. Handwriting notes can actually stimulate the brain and help you learn more! It’s been said that writing something once is the equivalent of reading it 7 times! Some people still prefer typing, but I will always suggest writing notes.

Try changing pen colors, highlighting, circling, and writing styles to make note taking a little bit more fun!

Also, before you take notes in a new notebook, leave a few pages in the front blank for a table of contents. This will help when it comes time for mid-terms and finals.

8.Do not skip class!

This has to be the easiest way to succeed in college. In most of your classes, attendance is part of your final grade and you are only allotted a certain number of absences before points are deducted. So you are helping yourself get an “A” by just showing up for class. Save your skips for days that you are sick in bed or out of town, don't waste them. Even in classes that don’t require attendance, by showing up you are proving to your professors that you care about your education (this will get you brownie points) and want to do your best in their class. Also, it will help you understand the material better and you'll likely do better on their assignments and exams.

9. Don’t be afraid to take advantage of your professors office hours.

Your professors are there to help you succeed and shockingly, they aren’t that scary. To be honest, all of the professors I’ve had are really cool and want to get to know you. If you’re confused on homework or missed a section of notes, go see them and they’ll help you out. If you’ve attended the majority of their classes and have been intentional in building a relationship with them, they’ll warm up to you nicely and will definitely do what they can to help you succeed, not only in their class but in college as well.

10. Your student ID can actually save you money!

As a college student, saving money is a must! I knew that my ID could get me discounts but I didn’t know where and I always forgot to ask, but I figured it out just for you guys! Here is a list of a few places that give college students discounts:

J.Crew: 15% off

Ann Taylor: 15% off

The Limited: 15% off

Sephora: 10% off

Banana Republic: 15% off

Charlotte Russe: 10% off

Subway (off campus): 10% off

Chipotle: Free Drink

Burger King: 10% off

Waffle House: 10% off

Chick-fil-a (off campus): Free Drink

Arby’s: 10% off

McDonalds: 10% off

Buffalo Wild Wings: 10% off

Papa John’s: 10%-20% off

IHOP: 10% off

11. Do a "dry-run" of all of your classes.

To avoid getting lost on the first day of classes, take 30 minutes of the day before and visit all of the classrooms that you will be in for the next semester. Trust me, it is worth it. Also, download the Ellucian GO app before classes start. It's quick, easy, and lets you see your courses, schedule, Portico, Moodle, and more on your phone.

Last but certainly not least,

12. Always use Rate My Professors before creating your schedule.

As a freshman you'll learn how to create your class schedule using ACS (Advanced Class Selection) and if you're like me, you'll learn to dislike the process. It's stressful, as many things in college are, but you'll be able to handle it because some genius, from some state, created a website where college students can rate their professors and it's free! All you have to do is type in your professor's name and department and their ratings come up! Please take advantage of it! College is stressful enough as it is, choosing your professors shouldn't be.

I hope you have a wonderful year! Enjoy being a freshman, you only get to be a “first semester freshman” once. College is exciting and full of new experiences, soak it all up!