KNOW HOW TO CHOOSE A MOSQUITO TRAP
Politics

4 Important Things College Students Often Overlook

Being a college student also means learning what it means to take care of yourself.

For most new or potential college students, the prospect of venturing out on their own can be all but daunting.The realization all of the sudden hits that they are somewhat on their own, especially if they are living away from home.Here are a few important things college students often overlook as they're headed off to college.

67

1. Health Insurance

Depending on where the student is planning on attending college, having health insurance is the law. A worst-case scenario is that they end up taking a trip to the emergency room and then discover that they need insurance.

In Australia, according to studyinaustralia.gov.au, "As an international student in Australia, you are required to have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the entire duration of your study in Australia. But there are also other types of insurance which you may find useful."

As for "other types of insurance," Australia has a number of insurance providers such as iSelect, which is an online insurance broker. It also provides a few other services college students may find helpful as well, such as utilities (electric, gas), Internet services, and mobile phone plans.

2. Obtain Campus "Move-In" Information

Though it may seem like common sense, a lot of students moving away from home and to a college campus for the first time overlook obtaining dormitory move-in information.

Usually, when a student arrives at college the first day, they'll have to attend some sort of orientation.

It's also important to know what streets to use when one is trying to access their dorm. Some universities have specific directions they're expected to follow when unloading their vehicle while moving in. Not following specific directions could lead to citations from campus police.

3. Look For a Mentor

Believe it or not, there is nothing more important than a college student building meaningful relationships with mentors. Mentors are useful for assisting a student in navigating the complexities that often come with college life.

Not only that but mentors can play animportant rolein making sure the student doesn't veer off in the wrong direction or get involved with the wrong people.

For a young adult who is just now venturing off on their own, the freedom that comes with college life can be exciting and full of temptations. And since family might be hours away, it's always good for the student to have someone they can call on nearby.

However, not everyone is cut out to be a mentor. Before the student goes to college for the first time, it's a good idea to contact the faculty board or some other student body organization and ask for mentor recommendations.

4. Part-Time Employment

Working part-time isn't something most students look forward to but, unfortunately, it's a reality for many students.

Rather than waiting until they arrive at the university and then start looking for possible part-time work, it's a lot better to have some job contacts beforehand so things go smoother.

Classes, homework, and other college programs will be enough to drive a new student crazy. However, they may not have the luxury of waiting to find a part-time job. All these things going on simultaneously can be quite stressful.