If College Majors Were Different Things You Do At The Gym

You know you think about this sometimes...

Going to the gym is just one of those things equivalent to going to classes. You dread it, but you have to do it. So recently, on a walk from class to the Archbold gym, having a full-on inner debate as to which piece of cardio equipment I was in the mood to do, I thought about just how similar those two activities are. And poof – I realized how gym classes and fitness machines secretly connect and align to many different college majors.

1. Doing yoga: English

While many might think that yoga is easy and a relaxing gym class; similar to how reading a book or novel can be so chill and thought-provoking, they’re both so deep and intense, people tend to take them for granted. They are like the underdogs.

However, both yoga and English are major disciplines in which you have to force your mind to go elsewhere, deep in analytical thought. As challenging as some Greek and Shakespearian pieces of literature can be, don’t be fooled by a Firefly or King Pigeon Pose. Both will challenge the body and mind.

2. Kickboxing: Pre-Law

Just as intimidating as the study of law may be, nothing better than Kickboxing correlates to this major. Kickboxing is a group fitness class that combines self-defense skills in a high-energy, fast-paced forum. Lawyers are trained to develop tactics to defend their cases and must always be on top of their game mentally.

Wait too long and your opportunity to object or fight back costs you a dear mistake, similar to how not being prepared on the defense may end up costing you a jab or a punch. Kickboxing is a thorough total body workout incorporating every body part from your calves to your shoulders – similar to how a lawyer must know each and every aspect of a story in order to properly prepare and present a case.

3. Stepping on the tread-climber: Surgeon

The tread-climber is a very complex cardio machine that requires a lot of concentration. It combines the benefit of a treadmill, challenged by the movements of an elliptical all while going uphill. Sound confusing? Well, if you saunter on to this machine at the gym you better have all of your senses in-tact.

Concentration and focus are key here in order to take on this machine effectively. Surgeons must enter the operating rooms with the utmost level of sense and concentration because one minuscule mistake could cost them a patient’s life. Surgeons are always on top of their game – just as you must be if you are so brave as to take on the Treadclimber.

4. Going to a total body class: Business

A total body gym class is a high energy and thorough workout that focuses on every muscle group at an intensity that will simultaneously improve your overall cardiovascular strength and endurance. A career in business is more varied than most people realize.

Business degrees provide broad academic exposure to the critical elements that make organizations function efficiently. A total body class is backed up by motivating music and incorporates a variety of exercises and equipment to always keep you on your toes and eager to see what is next.

The backbone of business is made up of various departments who all must function simultaneously for the common goal. Businesses must always be on their toes to stay on top of their game competitively.

5. Going to a Zumba class: Communications

The dance movements in a Zumba class flow from one move to the next creating one big dance routine and overall body massage. Each routine executed in a Zumba class has to tell a story based on the movements and most importantly the music.

The way in which an advertising major presents a product for sale, a sports broadcaster commentates a game to the public and a news broadcaster retells a story, Zumba and Communications majors are all about the story and the way in which it’s presented.

6. Running on the treadmill: Math

There is a constant formula while walking or running on the treadmill—one foot has to go in front of the other for a successful progression. Math is a constant formula that doesn’t deviate much from what is originally given. The deviations on a treadmill, speed and incline, are like the different levels of math. The harder you make the deviations, the harder your workout will be. In math, the basic formulas are the same, it is just the different levels that make it more challenging.

7. Going to a spin class: Foreign Language

It is very easy to get lost in a high-intensity spin or cycle class. The instructor via headset microphone competes with the loud and hi-energy music calling out moves and positions at sometimes irregular beats that completely confuses a class goer.

These instructors are so invested in their workouts and keeping up with the beats and moves, they can hardly realize if the class is actually keeping up. In a foreign language class, the professors are so animated and invested in their own native language tongue they just assume everyone else is on board as well, not realizing many times students are completely confused and lost.

So the next time you’re sitting in a class or forcing yourself to complete a set or workout in the gym, think about what you can compare them to!