Don't Bash People For Their Majors

Don't Bash People For Their Majors

On the contrary, yes a liberal arts degree can be useful.

82
https://pixabay.com/en/books-student-studying-learn-read-927394/

For some reason, within this school, there seems to be a hierarchy among the majors. I'm pretty sure this is the case at other college and universities. At Villanova, at least, depending on which school you're in, it'll affect how you look at business school, but here's the general hierarchy:

1. Business Majors

2. Engineering Majors

3. Nursing Majors

4. Science Majors

5. Liberal Arts Majors

Now with the business school students, where they stand will depend on the student themselves, but most of the time, I've heard the same thing over and over again- Liberal Arts majors aren't studying anything important. In particular, I've once heard someone say right to my face that English majors are useless.

Or at least something to that degree.

To be more specific, he said that getting an English major was 'basically signing yourself up for academia. Or teaching.' And he, who might I also add was a chemical engineering major, said that with disgust.

Okay. So, I understand that chemical engineering is important to society. What you make in that field benefits our everyday life. Not to mention that hopefully, it'll also save the world from global warming.

But you know what's also important? Writing. And reading. Without these skills, without people who know how to read and write well, you wouldn't have your books. Or your TV shows. Or the labels you find on your everyday products. Even if English majors don't necessarily get as much homework as chemical engineers, it doesn't mean that we're not working hard. Writing is an exhaust activity; like do you have any idea how hard it is to write comprehensively yet stylishly? We bust our asses to learn how to write well so when engineers and scientists ask us to write about their research and other things, we can do it on the fly. It won't take us a week to get it done.

What's my point here though? My point is that you shouldn't bash someone for what major they are studying. Sure, the major might be something obscure, but you know what, a lot of people don't even go into the job fields that their majors are supposed to be prepare them for. That and maybe they are learning something useful in their major that isn't necessarily visible at the surface. For engineering and science majors, the use of those majors are obvious- they're preparing its students for specific careers. But for liberal arts students, it's different. They're not necessarily preparing its students for a specific career, but rather they teaching the students skills (example: writing, analyzing, creativity) that are used widely across different job fields, giving students a plethora of careers to choose from. At least for me, I think that's a lot more interesting than just studying for one specific career. Even more so, when is it anyone's business what major other people are studying? At the end of the day, we're all trying to get a job. The path to that happy and successful career is different for everyone and college is only a step in that process.

That and seriously, don't bash on teaching. That's just rude.