English Major

10 Things They Don't Tell You About Being An English Major

It truly is art.

81
Girl

College is a time for us to find our passions and future careers through different experiences, whether it be socially or academically. Once we kinda have an idea, we declare our majors and continue to get our degrees. It can be tricky and confusing at times, but we all get there at one point. As an English major, here are five truths about my major.

1. Writing never stops

Papers will be your new best friend since you'll have multiple types due each week. This can range from analyzing novels to writing imitations of other poets. You'll be pretty much attached to your computer or journal typing furiously away or pouring all your thoughts out on paper.

2. You'll learn to actually read

Now, I don't mean reading through a few pages and just understanding the context that's right in front of you, but reading as in following the rhythm, style, and meter of all the sentences. Where each word originated from and what it means in a specific time period. You'll be an expert in no time.

3. You'll develop an appreciation toward all the writers you read

After you become knowledgeable about all the complex processes and thought that goes into literary pieces, you'll be in awe of all the writers you read. Everything will come full circle because you'll have a better understanding of the structure they chose to make their poem into and the relation to their themes. You'll be shook by how much time goes into each word. It truly is art.

4. "What do you want to do with your major?"

This will probably be the number one question you'll be asked all through college and it'll get frustrating if you don't know what exactly you want to pursue. That's okay! You're supposed to still be figuring things out. Whether it be teaching, editing, or even law, you have time, so don't freak.

5. You'll be asked to edit a lot of papers

Get ready, because you'll be getting a lot of requests from peers and friends to edit their papers, which can get overwhelming when you have a lot of your own work to do. So don't feel pressured to say yes if you really don't have time. Worry about yourself first.

6. READING, READING, READING

Look, I'm going to have to break it real hard down on you all English majors... you'll have to come in "friendly" terms with reading if you want this work. Not only will you be reading multiple chapters and pages a night, but you'll need to be ready to discuss all the key points in class. If you're like me, a picky reader, this part will be hard if you're required to read boring books, but you'll be able to do it! Just don't read on your bed because you'll pass out... trust me... I know from experience.

7. Skimming will be your new best friend 

Referencing my first point about reading, if reading is your best friend, then, skimming will actually be your best friend forever and ever and ever. You'll begin to be able to read at un-normal rates and still understand everything that's going on without reading every word. Don't get me wrong, this skill takes work and time to really master it, but once you do, the game will change.

8. You can't write texts without proper punctuation

You really can't write text messages without inserting commas because it just doesn't sound right. While your friends may be thriving on grammar errors, you need everything to flow in your messages. It can also often be painful in writing abbreviations instead of the full word, so you put your own twist to it like writing out "hahaha" instead of "LOL" or "oh my god" instead of "OMG."

9. You're creative 

Your mind is always filled with different ideas, to the point, where you just want to start so many new projects. You're always thinking outside the box when your given open-ended assignments and visualizing everything in your mind.

10. Finally, you'll spend more money on your stationery than anything else

Your stationery will literally be your pride and joy. You'll spend a lot of money on your new babies and be very picky to which brands and designs suit you since it's a great representation of your personality.