A College Girl's Guide To Preventing Rape

5 easy steps.

164
Blogspot

Hey girls! Just follow these 5 easy steps to avoid getting raped:

1. Avoid walking in dark alleys.

Most rapes are perpetrated by strangers. Beware, they are always jumping out from behind bushes. You should always fear walking alone and at night (if you are even dumb enough to do it).

2. Always wear baggy sweatpants and turtlenecks.

Rape won't happen if you make yourself look "unattractive" and cover as much skin as possible.

3. If you happen to encounter a rapist, don't fight back.

This one is self-explanatory. It will anger the rapist, and it will only be worse for you. Don't be stupid.

4. Remember, men can't control their sexual desires, so preventing rape is ALWAYS up to you.

Sex is an irresistible human urge. But remember, this only applies to men. If a man rapes a woman, it is just a basic biological desire. If a woman becomes pregnant unexpectedly she should have just kept her legs closed. Duh.

5. Ask yourself if was all a misunderstanding.

It probably wasn't rape anyway. You definitely wanted it at the time but just regret it now. Or you're confused.

I'm sure you've heard it all before... NOW STOP BELIEVING THESE MYTHS.

The Truth:

We, as young women, are often made to believe many of these dangerous myths. Sometimes they are even told to us by loved ones who unfortunately think they are coming from a place of concern. Rape and how it is handled is a HUGE problem on college campuses, especially for young women (although it happens to women and men of all ages as well). Do yourself and society a huge favor by educating yourself on the truth behind 5 of the most common and widespread myths about rape.

Stop Believing 5 Common Myths About Rape:

1. Most victims know their rapist.

Contrary to popular belief, stranger rapists are not lurking in every dark alley. I am a 20-year-old woman, and although I don't go out of my way to walk around in the middle of the night, it is not something I fear/completely avoid. That would be impractical. According to the National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS) in 2002, approximately 66% of rape victims knew their assailant. "Sex Offenses and Offenders. Bureau of Justice Statistics, U.S. Department of Justice, February 1997" states that "four out of ten sexual assaults take place at the victim’s own home. Two in ten take place in the home of a friend, neighbor or relative. One in ten takes place outside, away from home. And about one in 12 takes place in a parking garage." Before you tell me not to walk anywhere alone or even with friends at night consider this.

2. Rapists do not discriminate.

Women in short skirts get raped. Women in baggy sweatpants get raped. It has nothing to do with what you wear. Men, women and children (The Justice Department has even estimated that one of six victims are under age 12) get raped. It happens to every sexuality and nationality. Rape is NEVER the victim's fault. The very definition of the crime states that it is against the victim's will. Stop asking "Well, what was she wearing?"

3. Empower yourself. Learn to fight back.

Another common misconception about rape is that fighting back will only escalate a rape situation and make things worse for the victim. Victims are often afraid to retaliate because they fear the perpetrator is armed. The 2001 NCVS states that "only about 7% of rapes involved the use of a weapon." In a 20-year study from 1973 to 1992, the NCVS found that women took protective measures in about 80 percent of rape attacks. This was found to be helpful in 60% of attacks and harmful in only 7% of attacks. Although survival is the main goal when you are in a life-threatening situation and deciding to comply with or resist an attacker is a situational and personal dilemma, we shouldn't stay under the notion that fighting back will only make things worse. Learn self-defense moves or how to use a gun, carry pepper spray or a pocket knife. Knowing how to protect yourself is never a bad thing.

4. Saying men can't help raping women is an insult to men.

I am tired of this being used to defend rapists. I know so many good men and saying this is an insult to all of them. In most cases, having the self-control to not harm and violate another human being is a given. All men are not the problem, rapists are.

5. There is no such thing as "asking for it" unless you actually consent to sex.

Consent is really simple. Check out a previous article I have written on the subject for more about consent. Also, the FBI reports that only 2-10% rape accusations are false. When a victim comes forward about rape, they are telling the truth in almost all cases. Coming forward is hard enough for a number of reasons (most rapists are not sent to jail/prison if even convicted, people may not believe them, they do not want to relive a traumatic experience, etc.)

Please consider this information next time you give advice to your daughter, friend, etc. Feeding into rape myths is dangerous too, so education on the subject makes all the difference.