To All The Nurses In The Making
popular

To All The Nurses In The Making

We tell ourselves that one day it'll all pay off, but will it actually?

153116
To All The Nurses In The Making
Kaylee O'Neal

I bet you're taking a break from studying right now just to read this, aren't you?

Either at the library with friends or in your dorm room. Wherever you may be, you never get the chance to put your books down, at least that's how it feels to most of us. It sucks feeling like you've chosen the hardest major in the world, especially when you see other students barely spending any time studying or doing school work.

The exclamation “You're still here!" is an all too frequent expression from fellow students after recognizing that you've spent 10-plus hours in the library. At first, it didn't seem so bad and you told yourself, “This isn't so difficult, I can handle it," but fast-forward a few months and you're questioning if this is really what you want to do with your life.

You can't keep track of the amount of mental breakdowns you've had, how much coffee you've consumed, or how many times you've called your mom to tell her that you're dropping out.

Nursing is no joke.

Half the time it makes you want to go back and change your major, and the other half reminds you why you want to do this, and that is what gets you through it. The thing about being a nursing major is that despite all the difficult exams, labs and overwhelming hours of studying you do, you know that someday you might be the reason someone lives, and you can't give up on that purpose.

We all have our own reasons why we chose nursing.

Everyone in your family is a nurse, it's something you've always wanted to do, you're good at it, or like me, you want to give back to what was given to you. Regardless of what your reasoning is, we all take the same classes, deal with the same professors, and we all have our moments.

I've found that groups of students in the same nursing program are like a big family who are unconditionally supportive of each other and offer advice when it's needed the most. We think that every other college student around us has it so easy, but we know that is not necessarily true.

Every major can prove to be difficult, we're just a little harder on ourselves.

Whenever you feel overwhelmed with your school work and you want to give up, give yourself a minute to imagine where you'll be in five years -- somewhere in a hospital, taking vitals, and explaining to a patient that everything will be OK. Everything will be worth what we are going through to get to that exact moment.

Remember that the stress and worry about not getting at least a B+ on your anatomy exam is just a small blip of time in our journey.

The hours and dedication suck, and it's those moments that weed us out. Even our advisors tell us that it's not easy, and they remind us to come up with a back-up plan. Well, I say that if you truly want to be a nurse one day, you must put in your dedication and hard work, study your ass off, stay organized, and you WILL become the nurse you've always wanted to be.

Don't let someone discourage you when they relent about how hard nursing is. Take it as motivation to show them that yeah, it is hard, but you know what, I made it through.

With everything you do, give 110 percent and never give up on yourself. If nursing is something that you can see yourself doing for the rest of your life, stick with it and remember the lives you will be impacting someday.

SEE ALSO: Why Nursing School Is Different Than Any Other Major