So, Beyoncé Played At Coachella

So, Beyoncé Played At Coachella

Unpopular opinion: That isn't a good thing.

47
So, Beyoncé Played At Coachella
YouTube

Coachella is something I hear about every year and vaguely wonder about for the short amount of time I hear about it. Music festival? Alright, cool. I like music well enough; I'm any typical person who screams along to their favorite music in the car, but a festival?

A loud, crowded place full of people I don't know, doing things I'm probably wary of? No thank you.

Because of this, I don't know much about it. Most years it comes and goes, and I hear very little about it. This year, I keep hearing one thing about it and nothing else: Beyoncé performed.

Now, I doubt Coachella is purely for alternative and indie music, but I've never heard of someone so big and famous performing. Naturally, I had to Google it to see what the news was saying. Two of the three "top stories" according to Google, are all about Beyoncé.

The first article is all about Beyoncé's performance on the stage; the second article ends with stating that Coachella should be renamed to Beychella.

The third article? A headline that had nothing to do with what the article talked about and no mention of Beyoncé. I don't know if this is the typical kind of Coachella article, but it didn't seem to be all that relevant to the festival itself, talking about how the hot desert Coachella is performed at is stripping people to near-nothing in fashionable ways.

As a person who knows near-nothing about Coachella except what she hears through the grapevine and alternative music stations, I don't really like what's happening here. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for Beyoncé incorporating her life, passions and politics into her music (because, really, music is perfect for that), but practically taking over a music festival?

She has her various times to shine; I have always thought of this festival as the time where new artists get their start. Sure, maybe helped along by some bigger numbers so people are more enticed to show up, but never have I heard of nothing but one artist performing.

Personally, I find it slightly unsettling. A star with more fame than the festival itself? I'm a fan of individuality and keeping the indie scene alive because it's the only way new voices can get heard. If those new voices are smothered by one that's older, better known and likely better skill-wise? It's unfair.

In my opinion, Coachella should be for the new, not the old, voices to shine.