The New Look: Browns Look To Surprise This Season

After a winless season, the Browns made some big offseason moves in hopes to turn the franchise around.

53
youtube.com

The Cleveland Browns have been the laughing stock of the NFL for a while now, and their 1-31 record over the past two season don't help their narrative. The Browns didn't win a game last season but many believe that could change in 2018 after they drafted a potential franchise QB first overall in the NFL Draft, and made some great free agent acquisitions to look to turn the team in the right direction.

Cleveland drafted controversial Oklahoma Sooners' QB Baker Mayfield, but he is not expected to start at least at the beginning of the season. The reason for that is one of the Browns best free agent signing, former Buffalo Bills starter Tyrod Taylor. Tyrod is a dynamic QB who can extend plays with his speed and has great mobility under pressure. While he didn't quite live up to the expectations fans had in Buffalo, Taylor has a lot more weapons this season and a new veteran offensive coordinator, Todd Haley.

The Browns running back depth chart is looking plenty improved from the previous season with multiple options out of the backfield and various players to plug into different schemes. Carlos Hyde was a free agent this previous season who signed to play in Cleveland from the San Francisco 49'ers and he looks to win the starting spot as a veteran of the league.

Along with Hyde, they have Duke Johnson Jr. who has played all of his four seasons with the Browns but his numbers have actually declined since his first season in 2014. Johnson most likely won't be the number one back but will be utilized in specific situations that work well with his skillset.

Finally, the Browns used one of their later draft picks on rookie RB Nick Chubb from Georgia. Chubb shared reps at UGA with Sony Michell who was also drafted, both will have a decent workload for their rookie seasons.

Finally, the wide receivers on the roster have a little more star power than in past season and Browns fans are hoping they can elevate Tyrod Taylor's game throughout the year. Jarvis Landry was traded to the team from the Miami Dolphins where he was their top pass catcher for years, Landry has quick hands and incredible speed running routes.

Along with Landry, the Browns also get the return of their troubled receiver Josh Gordon who was suspended all of the previous seasons for multiple marijuana charges. Gordon has taken some time off in training camp to "help himself physically and mentally."

For the season to be an improvement, all the Browns need to do is win one game. With all their new faces and some of the young talent they've drafted over the years, the future may be bright in Cleveland.