Welcome To My House: 5 Classic Cocktail Recipes To Make Partying At Home Better Than Going Out

If you've never had a mojito, please leave immediately and return once you understand the literal heaven that is a well crafted mojito.

36
caffegodot.it

Whether you're rocking out at a concert, having dinner and drinks with friends at the new restaurant, or dancing the night away at the club, everyone likes a night out on the town. However, I would venture to say that not one person likes the cost of said night out. Drinks can cost upwards of $15 in some venues, and I don't know about you, but I usually like to have more than one drink...and I don't really like cheap beer so my nights out aren't cheap.

The obvious solution to this dilemma is the house party (or dinner party or get together, whatever you wanna call it). However, the cold hard truth is that most people can't make a balanced cocktail. If you're a beer drinker, you're covered since you just need to swing by the store, but us tequila lovers want a delicious margarita...not tequila flavored juice. And that goes for any lover of a specific spirit so I'm going to list 5 classic drink recipes below. I've picked one recipe for each of the main spirits (vodka, rum, tequila, whiskey, and gin) so next time you host a get together, you'll have something for everyone... and impress everyone with your cocktail acumen!

1. Whitney's Mango Margarita (TEQUILA)

I chose the mango margarita because many people, myself included, don't love the original lime margarita. I feel this recipe has more mass appeal and will do better at a get together. Also, this is my personal recipe so feel free to tweak the proportions to hit the flavor you like best. Lastly, this margarita is on the rocks because I think frozen drinks are more hassle and get watered down faster. If you want a frozen drink, simply blend in ice. For extra flair, use a dyed sugar rim and lime garnish.

Mango Margarita Shopping List

1. Silver Tequila
2. Lime Juice
3. Triple Sec
4. Mango Juice
5. Simple Syrup

Directions
To make this DELICIOUS recipe, pull out a pitcher and add 5 shots of tequila, 5 shots of triple sec, 5 shots of lime juice, 2 shots of simple syrup, and 1 liter of mango juice. Stir and pour over ice. Voila! Now you have a restaurant quality margarita in the comfort of your home.

Suggestions
1. Tequila doesn't have to be silver, but I feel that it has a better flavor. For parties you want a tequila that gives you more bang for your buck so I suggest Jose Cuervo Silver. If you are making one for yourself, go with Patron Silver of Camarena.

2. Don't skip the Tripe Sec or lime juice. This is what takes the bite out of the agave and thus makes it the cornerstone of a perfect margarita.

3. Feel free to play with the ratios to find what flavor you like best. Equal parts Triple Sec, lime juice, and tequila is what works for me. Find what works for you.

2. Classic Cosmopolitan (VODKA)

Vodka is one of those things that you can get away with just mixing with some juice and calling it a night. However, if we are talking about swapping a night out for a night in, I want to give you a vodka recipe that will give you that night out feel for a night in price.

Classic Cosmopolitan Shopping List
1. Vodka
2. Triple Sec
3. Lime Juice
4. Cranberry Juice

Directions
Pour 1 cup of vodka, 1/4 cup triple sec, 1/3 cup cranberry juice, and 2 shots of lime juice over ice in a shaker. Shake to mix and chill and pour from the strainer into four glasses. If desired, garnish with an orange twist.

Suggestions
1. While your vodka doesn't need to be Grey Goose, at least aim for a mid-range vodka. I like Stoli.
2. The Cosmo can also be made with gin.
3. For fun, experiment with different types of juices.

3. Fresh Mint Mojito (RUM)

If you've never had a mojito, please leave immediately and return once you understand the literal heaven that is a well crafted mojito. It's light, fresh, and flavorful. Rum is another easily mixed liquor a la vodka, but why have a rum and pineapple when you can have one of the best drinks ever mixed in just about the same amount of time.

Fresh Mint Mojito Shopping List
1. Clear rum
2. Fresh Mint
3. Sprite
4. Limes

Directions
First muddle the mint. Try starting with 7-9 sprigs. I like more mint than some and less than others so you're going to have to have many, many mojitos (in the name of science) to figure out your particular mint preference. In a glass of ice add 3/4 cup clear rum, slice of lime, and the muddled mint. Top with sprite. En-freaking-joy!

Suggestions
1. If you want to be really authentic, you can skip the Sprite and use 4 tablespoons of sugar, 6 tablespoons of lime juice, and club soda.
2. Don't over muddle the mint. You just want to open up the flavor, not destroy the mint.
3. Try Ginger Ale instead of Sprite, omg.

4. The Old Fashioned (WHISKEY)

This is the drink of Mad Men. Bourbon lovers and hipsters swear by it, but most people have no idea how to make this throwback cocktail. True bourbon lovers know that a good bourbon is made for savoring. This drink doesn't cover up the smooth taste of a fine whiskey, it complements it. Jack and Coke is always an option, but if you wanna try something a little more sophisticated or impress a fellow bourbon lover, this recipe if for you. Stay true to the recipe by using an Old Fashioned glass.

The Old Fashioned Shopping List
1. Rye or bourbon whiskey
2. Angostura bitters
3. Club soda
4. Fine sugar
5. Oranges

Directions
In a chilled glass, add 1 teaspoon sugar, 2 dashes of bitters, 1 teaspoon club soda, 2 ounces of whiskey, and ice. Stir until chilled throughout. Drop in an orange slice and enjoy.

Suggestions
1. Buy the good booze
2. Feel free to also add maraschino cherries for more flavor.

5. Martini (GIN)

I know a lot of people think of martinis as a vodka drink, but actually they are traditionally gin drinks. Regardless of your stance on the vodka versus gin martini debate, this is a classic recipe every professional and casual bartender should know.

Martini Shopping List
1. Dry Gin
2. Vermouth
3. Orange Bitters
4. Lemons

Directions
In a mixing glass, add 2 ounces gin, 1 ounce vermouth, and a dash of orange bitters. Fill mixing glass with ice. Stir until chilled and strain into a martini glass. Add a lemon twist and enjoy.

Suggestions
1. To make it dirty, add 1 ounce of juice from the green olive jar.
2. You can also add an olive or 2 or 3 in the regular martini.
3. Experiment between shaking and stirring your martini. Each technique has its loyal defenders

And that's my list of essential cocktails to know if you're gonna do like Flo Rida and opt for the house party. Enjoy!