An Open Letter To the Class of 2017

An Open Letter To the Class of 2017

As graduation approaches, make the most of the little time we have before the big day (and adult responsibility) comes.

25
An Open Letter To the Class of 2017
SMU

This is the year. The school year we've all been counting down to: senior year. In the spring we will finally graduate high school after what seems like forever, leaving the hallowed halls behind. We are in the final pages of a chapter in our lives. Pretty soon, we will be starting over in a new place with new people and a whole lot more responsibility. So, make the end of this chapter the best part.

Don't rush through senior year.

Even though it's cliche, this time does only really happen once in our lives. Soak it in. Enjoy it. Don't just rush through it. Take that extra bit of time to hang with your friends, show some school spirit, or do something specific to where you are. There a lot of chances for memories that last a lifetime, so don't those opportunities pass.

College isn't everything.

One of the biggest parts of senior year is college (i.e. applications, financial aid, essays, standardized tests, decisions, etc). Not only is everyone going to ask about it, but it also takes a lot of work. More often than not, the application process is overwhelming and seemingly impossible to finish. Don't let it take over your life, academically and otherwise. Get everything done in time by setting reasonable goals, time management, and some kind of planner/calendar. You can get it all done without losing your mind in the process. And after all that work, decisions arrive. Unfortunately, not every decision may be an acceptance. Where you get into college does not define who you are and what you are worth. Some in the class of 2017 may not even be attending college, which is perfectly okay. Not everyone is meant to go through the same system. College isn't the only part of senior year that matters, so don't let it be.

Take some time to breathe and do something for you.

In the midst of everything, you have to pause and slow it all down. Breathe. Senior year is a whirlwind, so take some breaks along the ride. Also, make sure you have the time to do things for you. Mental health is super important, and everyone needs their own special something whether that be Netflix, your favorite food or even just some extra shut-eye. These small things are a must for senior year.

This is the year. But more importantly, this is your year, our year. Let's go out and make it the best it can be.