Christians Have No Right To Applaud The Orlando Shooter

Is being gay a worse sin than murder?

18
NPR

Following the recent Orlando shooting at the gay night club 'Pulse', people of religion (calling themselves Christian) are applauding the killer. The irate gunman entered the nightclub on June 12, 2016, slaughtering 49 people and injuring 53 others, before being killed in a shootout with police. This incident is now considered the worst mass shooting in American history.

All facts and assumptions about the massacre and the killer aside, this horrific incident brought up a controversial topic among many Christians, who publicly approve of the killer’s actions because the Bible says that homosexuality is a sin. It seems that Christians believe that murder is more favorable than keeping the “impure” alive.

There have been messages (documented from screenshots) floating around the internet about how Christians feel about the shooting. Here are only some of those messages, taken word for word:

“Florida Pulse gay club attacked I’m so happy someone decided to start shooting perverts instead of innocent people”

“50 gay people died in a nightclub that’s what you call an effective shooting good sh*t gays don’t deserve to live”

“I wake up to some dude shooting up a gay nightclub. Isn’t that weird? Homosexuality is condemned by God so that’s why he let that happen ppl”

“I as an individual would congratulate and give thump up to the brother who killed filthy gays at #orlando shooting”

“That is the right target for such shootings. Gays should be shot for disrespecting the natural order.”

“At least it was only gays. Not like they add anything to mankind: Except disease – bit of a non – story really”

And one of the worst ones yet:

“The shooter is my hero, the cops should be sued for killing a hero, who was doing social justice, I mean since 80 percent of Americans no longer have brain’s to know that homosexuality is a great sin against God and every human law, let those who knows please buy guns and kill off any gay, lesbian, transgender and their likes, including bruce Jenner or whatever he calls himself now. May the soul of the shooter rest in perfect peace, amen, and FYI I am a Christian and not a Muslim, and my religion strongly condemns any acts of homosexuality”

The infamous Westboro Baptist Church in Kansas had their followers holding signs saying things like “God Sent The Shooter”

Verity Baptist Church in California’s pastor says he is “upset he [the gunman] didn’t finish the job because these people [homosexuals] are predators and abusers who take advantage of people.”

After same-sex marriage being legalized in America during 2015, this is a frightening step in the wrong direction.

What has the LGTBQ community done to you to make you so angry to want to kill them? These people are not “perverts” or “filthy” like these Christians have stated. They are not rapists or pedophiles or murderers. Gay people are some of the most caring and nonjudgmental people I have ever met, and they are being attacked because they love. The LGTBQ community knows who they are and know who they love. LGTBQ stands for LOVE. NOT HATE.

How can someone have so much hate for people who show love? This attack is trying to tell the LGTBQ community that they are wrong for being themselves, they are wrong for loving, and that they should be afraid. And no one should have to live in fear of being hurt, or brutally attacked, for being themselves.

Growing up Catholic, I was taught that the Bible should not be taken literally and there are many questions left unanswered that you need to piece together as you grow older. I was taught the Golden Rule, to treat others the way you would want to be treated: with respect. God tells us to “love thy neighbor”. This means despite race, gender, age, ethnicity, social status AND sexual orientation.

You are NOT a man (or woman) of God if you have this much hate in your heart for other human beings.

I believe that you are born with an unprejudiced love towards everyone. When you are a baby, you love who is raising you because these people are caring for you. As we grow up and experience life, we learn who we like, who we admire and who we are attracted to. I do not think there is such a thing as being born straight or being born gay, I believe that we are born HUMAN and able to love and care for any other human being.

There is absolutely no reason for anyone to hate a group of people so much that we would rather kill them. The last time I checked, murder is a crime in America, which holds up to a lifetime sentence in prison with a target on your back by fellow inmates who find out you are guilty of murder, a bullet in your head (if in a standoff with police) or the death penalty (after years of being in prison awaiting your sentence and death).

Committing murder (for any reason) is a juvenile decision because you will get caught, ruin your entire life, ruin your family’s lives, and die or get killed yourself.

It takes a strong person to care about people. We need to start loving and accepting ourselves before we love and accept one another.

With (most of) America, I am mourning the innocent lives lost and hoping their loved ones can find some sort of closure.

My advice to the LGBTQ community during this horrible time?

Be aware.

Be prepared.

Report suspicious activity.

Continue to love.

And do not be afraid.