How Often Should You See a Chiropractor?

Chiropractic visits

27

A good chiropractor can be a lifesaver, literally in some cases, when you've got various aches and pains that seem to have no other cure. Once you start going to a chiropractor, you'll quickly realize that you probably should have started going a long time ago. Then the question becomes how often you should go to the chiropractor instead of whether or not you should go at all. To understand how often you need to visit your friendly neighborhood chiropractor, here are a few things to keep in mind.

Insurance Allowances

Before you head to the chiropractor, it's important to check your insurance. Fortunately, most insurances cover at least some form of chiropractic care because of its established positive effects on an individual's overall health. Some insurances limit you to a once-a-week visit, while others allow you to visit as often as you'd like but limit you to a certain number of visits in a calendar year. Your chiropractor can help you understand your insurance allowances to help you get the best care for your needs.

Type of Ailment

The list of conditions that can be treated with chiropractic care is quite long. No two conditions on this list are exactly the same in terms of chiropractic treatments. Therefore, the type of ailment you have will play a significant role in determining how often you see your chiropractor. Generally, your first few visits will be fairly close together, and then later visits will be further apart as your body begins to heal.

Pain Management

For some people, going to a chiropractor is an absolute necessity to help them manage their pain. For these individuals, more frequent chiropractic care will likely be necessary. In some cases, two or three visits a week is not out of the question to help a patient cope with their pain. Your chiropractor will work with you to design a treatment plan that fits your symptoms.

Time Taken

One great thing about most chiropractic appointments is that they're not nearly as time-consuming as a typical doctor's appointment. Still, if you keep a tight schedule, your busyness may prevent you from coming to the chiropractor as often as you'd like. When you do stop by, though, you can typically expect to be in and out in 20 minutes or less.

Don't Stop

When it comes to chiropractic care, frequency isn't as important as is the simple act of just going to the chiropractor. Stopping your treatment plan before your chiropractor gives the okay could eliminate any progress that has been made. Once you begin treatment, it's important to trust your chiropractor so that you make chiropractic care a part of your normal routine until you find yourself pain-free and with a clean bill of health.