Chester Bennington's Death is Only the Tip of the Iceberg

Unfortunately, suicide is all too common an occurrence.

25
Telegraph

On July 20th a lot of people were heart broken to hear that Chester Bennington of the music group Linkin Park had died. He was found in his home by his housekeeper after hanging himself.

I couldn't believe it. When I first saw someone post how sad they were to hear the news, I researched it because it all seemed so surreal. I grew up listening to Linkin Park. In fact, I was listening to one of their songs earlier that day. It was weird knowing that the voice I heard was no longer alive.

The part I find difficult to stomach is that he's not the only one out there who has killed himself. Suicide is, unfortunately, a very common occurrence. Yet the main time it's talked about, is when a celebrity passes.

The pain left behind after someone commits suicide is very real too. Sure, when someone famous you loves passes you grieve and feel bad, but you move on quickly. It's not like that for the people close to them, who genuinely know them. Suicide effects so many people, and we need to recoginze their pain as well.

According to asfp.org, suicide is the 10th leading cause of death; 44,193 Americans die by suicide. For every suicide, there are 25 attempts, and suicide costs the US around $51 billion annually.

There's a lot more people out there tragically killing themselves than just celebrities. I'm not saying thatit isn't sad when a celebrity dies, because it is, it's like losing a friend, and like I said, I grew up listening to Linkin Park. However, it's sad to me that the main time we all acknowledge how tragic it is and post hotlines on social media, is when a celebrity dies.

I think we all need to be a little more active in trying to help those suffering. Too many times depression is over looked and under treated. I've found myself at the bottom. I've been on the edge wondering, what if? What if I killed myself? It can be a very scary thing to go through, especially when it seems as though no one notices what's going on.

Learn to notice the signs. They might say something about death, or wanting to end it. People will sometimes directly say something about wanting to die, but people don't take them seriously, or brush it off. You should take any small talk or behavior about suicide seriously because more often than not, it's their cry for help. Helpguide.org lists off a lot of myths and the actual facts of suicide, and helps you learn what signs to look for and what action to take.

You often hear the saying that suicide it selfish, but it's not. I think we all need to learn to be mindful of other's pain, because it that moment, their pain is so intense that they don't know another way out. That's the thing, you just don't know. We all need to learn how to understand, or at least try, why they feel this way. Their pain is real, and they just need someone to help them.

So please, I urge you all to help. Learn the signs and the proper way to approach and handle the situation. If you're hurting, reach out. There are so many people and different services that are out there waiting and willing. It will take time, and effort, but it will help.

If you or someone you know is struggling with depression and thoughts of suicide call the Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

For other ways to get help or involved in helping check out https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/