A Chance At Perspective

A Chance At Perspective

A look at other lives lived.

8
A Chance At Perspective
Micah Modesto

Not one person sees color in the same way, this has been true throughout the history of the world. There is something about the makeup of the eye that does not allow this to happen.The same is true for our world-views. No one has the same view of the world as anyone else, and in some ways this is unfortunate, but it is also an incredible gift.

We come to develop perspective. Our lives intersect with the lives of others. Sometimes such intersections become interceptions that may or may not last. We start to call those who were once strangers, now acquaintances, friends, lovers. But others never need to be intersected, or intercepted for that matter; rather they live in close parallel.

Some lives are carefree and wild, only concerned with the now and the thrills that come with anything they can accomplish, or the rush that comes with being the best.

Some lives are filled with discernment. Wisdom allows them to be fully themselves, confident in their piety. They walk with a powerful will, unwilling to be coaxed into what society would expect of them.

Others are not so brave. They walk timidly, but still with force. Never wanting to be forgotten or ignored, yet not desiring the attention others long for.

And still others find conformity and affirmation in unanimity consoling. Finding pleasure in the buzzing presence of bodies and the freedom of distraction.

Our world becomes colored by lives lived and perspectives gained. In our own personal

perception of the lives of others we enlighten our reality and world views. In this state of awareness, we begin to ask questions, we begin to observe, we begin to realize the limitation of our perspective.

Those we pass on the street, in the classroom, at work, lead lives we never will. They think thoughts that may never grace our minds and yet we are challenged to understand. Or to at least try. And here, in the trying, in the listening, in the observing, we learn to love.

We all live with our eyes that guide and our feet that lead. Moving at different paces, in different ways, with different views. That is the way it is, the natural makeup of our minds determines that.

There is beauty in this difference, value in all the ways we approach life. Each step, leap, glide or skip leads to a new place but not without purpose. Our differences in perspective sometimes cause conflict, but really, truly are beautiful.

So hello to the world that buzzes around me, in the quiet, in the noise, in the times filled with discernment, timidity, in the freedom of distraction and in its lack, hello.