The Champions League: Round Of Sixteen

The Champions League: Round Of Sixteen

17
The Champions League: Round Of Sixteen
UEFA

The UEFA Champions League round of 16 is set and the matches will take place in a few months time. Each team that has made it to the last 16 is by no means equal to one another. There are strong favorites to make it out of the next round. Looking ahead, some draws seem more open and shut than others. These draws are obviously a few months away and a lot can change during that time.

1. Manchester City vs. AS Monaco

Manchester City and Monaco could prove to be an interesting tie. Monaco, one of the most high-powered offenses in the world will face off against Guardiola and his struggling City squad. As of late, City have found it difficult to find their form but in a few months time, this can all change. Monaco currently sit close to the top of the French table while City have fallen a few spots, currently fourth at the time of writing. In the end, I have City advancing by a narrow margin. They will regain their form and Pep will have finally figured out his best 11 by February.

2.Real Madrid vs. Napoli

In this round, it may be a little more one sided. Napoli, while currently fourth in the table, have not faced the likes of Benzema and Ronaldo in the Serie A. Ronaldo, recently winning his fourth Ballon D’or, continues to lead his side to narrow victories and draws. However, at home, Real Madrid are deadly. Currently, Madrid sit atop the La Liga table with a six point gap over Barcelona. Napoli will prove a difficult side to break down, only allowing 15 goals in 16 matches, but Madrid will advance, as their offense is too strong to be denied.

3.Sl Benfica vs. Borussia Dortmund

Benfica currently sit atop the Portuguese table with only one loss in 13 matches. They have only allowed eight goals in their first 13 matches while Borussia Dortmund have scored 32 goals in 14 matches. The two clash in February at home to Benfica first. In the match, I would expect Dortmund to look for a draw, while scoring at least one away goal in hopes of bashing Benfica at the return leg. I have Dortmund advancing on away goals.

4. FC Bayern München vs. Arsenal FC

After several meetings between these two clubs, Bayern has always had the upper hand. The clubs have met 10 times in the Champions League and Bayern have won five of those while Arsenal have only won three times. However, Bayern have looked a bit shaky this season and although they sit at the top of the table, they haven’t really looked like themselves this season. On paper, they seem like the stronger squad but Arsenal have a better chance this time around than they ever have before. With that being said, I still think Bayern will advance but it will not be as open and shut as in previous years.

5.FC Porto vs. Juventus Football Club

The second place Portuguese side will face off against the reigning champions of the Italian Serie A. This could be one of the tightest of the draws and Juventus will be the favorite. They have not been as dominate in Italy as they have in previous years and only hold a slim lead over second-place Roma. Juventus are a win or lose team, with no draws under their belt the entirety of the Serie A season. Porto on the other hand have only allowed five goals in 13 matches. This number alone suggests that this could be Porto’s year to advance to the next round. Their defense will lead the way to victory and they will beat the Italian champions for a spot in the final eight.

6.Bayer 04 Leverkusen vs. Club Atlético De Madrid

Atlético has reached the finals of the Champions League twice in the last few years. They have proven to be a formidable side that has a good balance of attack and defense but this year they have shown differently. They have not been able to mount an assault on the top teams in Spain and they sit in sixth with only seven wins. However, this tie is one they can hope to capitalize on because Leverkusen has given up as many goals as they have scored in the German League. They do not keep teams out of their net often enough and because of this, the likes of Antoine Griezmann and Yannick Carrasco could find their goal-scoring form against this weak defense. Atlético may not push for the title this year, but they will fight to see another day in the last eight.

7.Paris Saint Germain vs. FC Barcelona

PSG have been a strong side for many years, winning title after title in France. They face off against one of the strongest sides in the world in FC Barcelona. This game will feature huge names on both sides but PSG have lost one of the best players over the summer, Zlatan Ibrahimovich. The Swede left PSG to join Manchester United and without him, the weight of scoring has fallen to Edison Cavani. He is a strong player but he alone will not be able to break down the defense of Barcelona. Although Barcelona’s defense has been questionable of late, they have the best attacking trio in the world on their side. Even if their defense is broken down, Barcelona have enough firepower to secure their spot in the next round.

8. Sevilla FC vs. Leicester City

The Cinderella story of Leicester City is one many have heard of in recent months. With 5000 to 1 odds of winning the English Premier League last year, they shocked the world by taking the title with a game to spare. They find themselves facing off against one of Spain’s stronger sides in Sevilla FC. Leicester has been up and down this year, beating Manchester City 4-2 but losing a total of eight matches this year in England. With only four wins in their domestic league, their form does not show that they can beat the reigning Europa League champs. Leicester City have not been what they were last year and this will show once they face Sevilla.

*Statistics taken from ESPNFC and Fox Sports