What It's Like Going To A Catholic University Without Being Religious

It's open for interpretation.

142

I didn't rule out religious universities off my college list while doing the college search. I just so happened to choose two Jesuit institutions, but I never realized the full impact the school's values would have on my education and my life.

I have never been a religious person. It hasn't necessarily been a result of choice, but perhaps being the result of two completely different religions. My father is Buddhist, and my mother is Catholic, yet neither have kept up with their practices. So growing up, I've been to temple a few times, and I've gone to Sunday service a handful of times, but nothing really stuck with me.

When I was 13 I asked my mom to go buy a bible, as I tried attending a local church's youth worship group - it had a hot pink leather cover with metallic silver paper edges. I stopped going after a month. And still didn't stick with me.

Living on a campus where crosses are everywhere was definitely something to grow accustomed to. On every building, in every classroom, the logo, it's pretty "excessive." I have been warned by my peers and college counselor, but you never truly know what it's like until you live there.

But it accounts for all the school's pride and spirit for valuing the concepts of giving and love, shown by all the volunteer and community service opportunities provided here, too. As a liberal arts student, my first semester requirements are to take a class consisting of reading religious texts. I loved being exposed to each perspective, and I hope to practice my faith through a religion I can resonate with. But I'm not sure what comes first, similar to the chicken or the egg question - finding myself through religion, or knowing myself enough to know which will resonate with me the most.

As if my time during college hasn't been confusing enough, I've been given a lot of time to reflect and devote my time for "the greater good." It really hit me when my orientation concluded with a prayer to wish the incoming class a blessed and safe year, and hearing from one of the Father's that he looks at drawing each orientation group made that year and prays for them every morning. There's some security knowing that someone is looking over you for your best interest.

I noticed today that the bookstore only carried Christmas cards, and nothing else. But I guess that makes sense. The campus is growing to become very strict on the greek life in terms of alcohol consumption, which to some students have been a negative contributing factor in student life. But overall, my experience here on campus has consisted of learning more about myself, growing, interacting with people and my professors who are so indebted to helping others.

If you aren't as religious of a person like myself, and undergoing the college process, I recommend you to still consider every university. You can never go wrong with a genuinely nurturing community.