I Have A Case Of The Spring Semester Slump, And You Probably Do Too

The decreasing levels of motivation, creativity, and sunshine make it easy for students to feel stuck in a rut.
68

The time has come. Spring break is officially over, but the light at the end of the tunnel is still barely shining through. Summer seems so close, yet so far. At times, the thought of being weeks away from sitting on the beach isn't even enough to boost motivation. If you're wondering how you can possibly make it through these next few weeks leading up to finals, you're most likely coming down with the Spring Semester Slump too.

At this point in the semester, stakes are high. Everyone seems to be making final efforts to save their GPA during this home stretch. Not to mention, the stress of having to choose next semester's classes (and keep your fingers crossed that you don't get closed out of them) is enough to push you over the edge.

Even though incentives are prominent, who finds any inspiration to work under the dreary April conditions? With days filled with clouds, rain, or cool breezes, spirits stay low and the only activity anyone is energized to do is stay in bed watching Netflix. The alarmingly decreasing levels of motivation, creativity, and sunshine, make it easy to see how so many college students feel stuck in a rut. This is completely normal, and know that you're not alone in these feelings.

If Mother Nature refuses to grace us with a bright and sunny final lap of the semester, we must create our own. Consider wearing summer colors, changing your phone/computer backgrounds to something cheerful, and even playing some tropical-sounding background music when you study. The Spring Semester Slump is only as inhibiting as you let it be.

Let us not forget, April showers certainly do bring May flowers. Despite the fact that you may not be sleeping long enough at night to even dream about summer, it will come. If you can find a remedy to overcome this slump, you WILL succeed. These end of the semester struggles are simply minor roadblocks on our road trip to summer. While inconvenient, remember to enjoy the journey and stop to smell the roses, for we only have so much time in our lives to call ourselves college students.