Carson Wentz And The Dutch Destroyer

Carson Wentz And The Dutch Destroyer

The bond between Lukas and Carson was so brief, yet will last forever.

493
Carson Wentz And The Dutch Destroyer
Wikimedia Creative Commons - Jeffrey M. Vinocur

By now, anyone who's a sports fan has heard of Carson Wentz. In his second year as the Philadelphia Eagles starting quarterback, the North Dakota State phenom has lead the Eagles to an 8-1 start, and is currently the frontrunner for MVP. We all know that Carson is a leader on the field and in the locker room, but what truly makes him so special is what he does away from football. Carson is active in the local community, has taken mission trips to send aid to countries in need, and recently launched his AO1 Foundation. Recently, however, football fans around the globe learned of another incredible act of kindness. Fans began to notice a wristband Carson has worn since the start of the season with the words "Dutch Destroyer." While it could have been easy to write it off as just a bracelet, instead, it brought light of an incredible bond and a story of true courage.

Lukas Kusters, a then eight year old boy from Wilmington, Delaware, loved football since the day he could comprehend it. He loved to play, and he loved watching his favorite team, the Eagles. He was a leader, a great friend, and had a big heart. Sadly, in April 2016, Lukas was diagnosed with stomach cancer. What followed was a series of very intense treatments in hopes he could get better. Despite all the pain and discomfort, Lukas stayed resilient and kept a tough and courageous attitude throughout. Ever since he started playing football, Lukas was known to be tough, brave, and dedicated, earning him the nickname "Dutch Destroyer."

Soon, a heartbreaking day came when Lukas and his family were informed that the cancer spread and was now terminal. Lukas still remained positive, but had just one wish, to be able to thank Carson Wentz for everything.

As a dedicated Eagles fan, Lukas followed Carson Wentz's rookie season with the Eagles while undergoing treatment in 2016. It didn't take him long to fall in love with Carson's leadership, poise, and resilience at the quarterback position. Watching the Eagles provided a nice distraction, and Carson Wentz soon became a role model to Lukas in his battle with cancer.

Hospital workers were able to put a plan together to let Carson know about his fan Lukas. Soon after, Carson sent him a special video message sending him well wishes. Lukas was so ecstatic he teared up, but that was only the beginning. The Eagles organization decided to take Lukas to spend a day at the team facilities, take some personalized tours, and of course, spend time with Carson Wentz. Lukas was amazed. He loved every minute of it, but nothing came close to the time he spend getting to know Carson and bonding. When it was time to say goodbye, Lukas gave Carson a wristband he had with his nickname, "Dutch Destroyer," and wanted him to keep it for good luck.

Heartbreakingly, Lukas did not win his fight with cancer, and passed away in June 2017, not long after the visit with Carson. He was buried wearing a number 11 jersey. Carson was soon asked about this in an interview, and broke down crying. To honor Lukas, Carson decided to wear the "Dutch Destroyer" bracelet given to him for the upcoming season. When he first came out of the tunnel to warm up, and his family saw the wristband on live TV, they were astounded, and grateful that Carson would carry on his memory. Lukas' story should be a huge reminder that at the end of the day, football is a game, but football can be used to bring people together in times of struggle, and to form positive bonds, like the one between Carson and Lukas.

Now, Lukas' family is doing even more in his honor. You can now purchase a "Dutch Destroyer" bracelet of your own, and the Kusters family will make sure all of the proceeds are donated to families with children battling cancer. It's pretty clear that Carson will always think of Lukas and his bravery when playing football, as a truly special bond took place. Hopefully Carson can continue leading the team like he has, and Lukas' story and cause continues to gain momentum. Fly Eagles Fly!