Carmelo Anthony's Future With The Knicks In Doubt

It’s Time For Carmelo Anthony And The Knicks To Part Ways

8

When the New York Knicks acquired all-star Carmelo Anthony in a blockbuster trade in 2011, Knick fans thought they could be a championship caliber team again. Knick fans didn’t expect the franchise to miss the playoffs for three consecutive years and be under .500 this season. Anthony has been one of the people to blame for the Knicks’ struggles, and could potentially be gone from New York after some comments he made following a loss Sunday.

According to Frank Isola of the New York Daily News, Anthony hasn’t thought about leaving the Knicks, but is willing to talk about his future with the team. “I haven’t thought once about that to be honest with you,” Anthony said when asked about waiving his no trade clause. “If they feel like my time in New York is over I guess that’s a conversation we should have.”

Anthony is in the third year of five year, 124-million-dollar deal, and based on his season and the Knicks’ season, it is time to leave the team.

Anthony turns 33 in May, and is averaging career lows in minutes, points per game, and field goal percentage according to Basketball Reference. It’s time for Anthony to move on for the Knicks and chase a championship which has eluded him throughout his career. The furthest the Knicks have gone in Anthony’s tenure with the team was the second round of the playoffs. Again, he’s only getting older, so the chances of Anthony bringing a championship to New York are close to impossible.

A parting of ways between Anthony and the team can help both sides be more successful down the line. Anthony can have opportunities to win a championship and the Knicks can rebuild around 21-year-old Kristaps Porzingis who has the potential to be star caliber player. The longer Anthony is with the team, longer it will take for the Knicks to be a great team again.