6 Steps To Meditate Properly With A Candle

Enter the flame.

2647
Pixabay, Candles, People

Have you ever thought about implementing a regular meditation practicein your life, but felt that you lacked the proper information on how to approach the mystical realmof meditation? Throughout my adult life, I have commonly heard this notion expressed by well-meaning spiritual seekers.

In fact, I experienced a similar sense of ambiguity toward the idea of meditation during the early stages of my own spiritual journey. And then at the age of 27 or so, I encountered a book “Yoga for Beauty” that served changed my life permanently. Published in 1966, the book included instructions for how to follow a complete yogic lifestyle. As hokey as the illustrations seemed to me at the time, circa 1992, with the models sporting their 1960s hair and clothing, this book truly served as the catalyst for my spiritual transformation.

Included in the book were three different beginner yoga routines, asanas, that each ended with a different meditation exercise. The exercises were clearly designed to help beginning meditators prepare the psyche for meditation by utilizing a specific focusing method, which, over time, serves as a means of transporting the meditator to the great universal abyss. Each method employed a contemplative task as the focusing tool: Staring at an orange and “becoming one” with it; asking oneself, “Who am I?” and listening for an answer; and staring at a candle flame as long as possible without blinking.

After faithfully following the entire yoga/meditation series 5-6 days per week for a year, I concluded that the meditation method that worked most effectively for me was the one that involved staring at the candle flame. This is still my favorite meditation method today and the most efficacious one that I have encountered, thus I would like to share it with you in more detail here.

1. Prepare.

First of all, make sure that your clothing is comfortable, cool and relaxed. Next, you should prepare your surroundings by creating a pleasant and serene ambiance. This can be done by incorporating soft lighting via candlelight or a Himalayan salt lamp as well as using soothing music or nature sounds.

Aromatherapy is another great tool that should be employed to heighten the sensual experience of meditation and enhance the psycho-spiritual impact. Burning or diffusing soothing pure essential oils is an excellent way to achieve this. Frankincense, sandalwood and patchouli have long been associated with invoking the higher spiritual realms.

Another technique that can be used to help initiate the meditational experience is to use the same cloth or tapestry to sit upon each time you meditate. Semi-precious stones can also be placed nearby to raise the energy vibrations. These external tools subconsciously cue the psyche for meditation, which just helps facilitate the process and results more quickly. With time, you will notice it becoming easier and easier to enter into the meditation realm.

2. Get your candle.

Place a pillar candle in a place where you will be able to gaze at the flame from eye level, if possible. Light the candle.

3. Get into position.

Seat yourself comfortably in front of the candle.This can be on the floor (on your special cloth) in half or full lotus pose, or in any other seated position in which you are able to remain for 15-20 minutes. *Lying down is not recommended as it often results in this meditator falling asleep.

4. Breathe.

Begin to inhale very slowly and deeply through the nose. Draw the inhalation out as long as possible, all the while carefully focusing your gaze on the flame of the candle. Exhale slowly through the nose still staring on the flame. Continue breathing ever so slowly and deeply in and out through the nose as you absorb every aspect of the flame, noting its vibrant colors and fluid movement, its mesmerizing aura. Try not to blink as you continue staring deeply into the depth of the flame, contemplating it as never before. Allow its ancient beauty and vitality to possess you. When a thought distracts your focus from the flame, gently allow the thought to pass and then return your focus to the infinite flame.

5. What do you see?

After staring at the flame for at least 5 minutes or so, close your eyes and focus on the spot (in your inner vision) between your eyes, the place identified by mystics as the “third eye.”

6. Pay attention.

Take notice of what you see there when you close your eyes. If you have been staring at the flame for long enough, you should see a tiny image of the flame replicated in the center of your third eye. If you do not see the flame in your inner vision, you should open your eyes and resume staring at the candle flame for several more minutes before closing your eyes again and noting what you see. Once you reach the point of being able to recognize the flame at the center of your third eye, begin to focus on increasing its size and bringing it closer to you.

You may need to repeat the entire process several times during a meditation session before you are able to see the flame. Be diligent with the process and pay very close attention to what you notice each time that you close your eyes. Pay close attention to what happens after you see the flame in your inner vision. Documenting your experience in a journal is an excellent way to track the results and progress of your experiment.

One of the principle purposes associated with the ancient practice of meditation is to unclutter the mind in order to promote an enhanced sense of peace, clarity and connection to the divine within that lives within us all. I recall reading in that inspirational yoga book that the gains resulting from a daily meditation practice can only be experienced, not described, but that something extraordinary WILL doubtlessly occur for any genuine seeker who faithfully follows a regular practice. And THAT is what drew this seeker into the flame....

Namaste.