5 At-Home Therapy Tips You Need

5 At-Home Therapy Tips You Need, No Matter What Your Therapy Routine Is

Whether you're in a Zoom session or live-chatting, make sure your home therapy space is good to go.

4330

No matter what stigmas you held about therapy before this year, I'm sure 2020 has affirmed that we could ALL use a nice long therapy session. Between wildfires that took over an entire continent, a global health crisis, and what's sure to be one giant circus of an election in the United States, we need help and we need it now.

The fact of the matter is, therapy has been a helpful, valid resource long before the world decided to become one giant dumpster fire. Having a safe space to discuss what's going on in your life, worries you have, and struggles you're facing has become a very normal thing for individuals' mental health.

As 2020 has taken a lot of aspects of our routines and thrown them out the window, it has added other features that we may not have thought of before. Sure, maybe you're not going into a therapist's office for a session anymore. But maybe you found an online option that is a fantastic stand-in! Or maybe you're entirely new to the therapy world and looking to jump in the deep end of your mental wellbeing.

No matter where you are in your journey with therapy, there are a few things you can add to your home routine that may help make your experience a little more comfortable.

Add a pillow with the purpose of quiet reflection.

Many individuals who practice meditation have a designated meditation pillow (or entire corner of a room) that's purpose is their quiet time. As you cannot physically go to a therapist's office right now, making a space specifically for this portion of your day may help signify its importance.

Make sure your space has a calm, soothing scent.

Leave that smelly workout clothes scent behind — breaking down mental barriers is a sensory experience! Bring peaceful, calming scents to your space with an essential oil diffuser that lets you set the tone for your session.

Have a journal handy, to write down personal reflections or key takeaways.

Whether you decide to write morning pages or just debrief with a journal at the end of the day, you gotta let those emotions fully feel.

Pour yourself a cup of tea. 

That calming spirit is strong, trust me.

Add house plants to improve your air quality (and add to your routine).

House plants not only improve the air quality of your space, they require a little TLC from you. This added responsibility, while not overbearing, can help shape a routine that encourages clarity of mind and overall wellness.

All of these can assist you in making your home a safe, clean space for growth. Make that appointment, set up your space, and open your mind to changes that need to occur.