Why Every College Student Needs To Start A Bullet Journal

It's good for the soul.

622
UTexas

If I had to describe my first year of college in one word, it would be challenging. I struggled with being away from my home, I struggled with making friends, and I struggled with living up to my expectations of what college should be. I spent a lot of time trapped in negativity and had a difficult time finding my way out. I turned to things that made me feel comfortable: studying, drinking tea, and exercising. By focusing on the aspects of my life that made me feel happy, I began surrounding myself with positivity and shortly after that I began sharing my positivity with others.

I rarely make New Year's resolutions, but this year I aimed to stay dedicated to my positivity and to continue to take notice of what things made me feel happy and what things made me feel energized. During a typical Pinterest binge, I stumbled upon the idea of Bullet Journaling and I was hooked immediately, this was exactly the medium I needed to track all of the things that mattered most to me.

I would describe bullet journaling as a type of self care. In a college world, where life is a constant whirlwind of busyness, assignments, and events, my Bullet Journal reminds me to slow down and reflect on each day. As an extremely detail-oriented and organized person, Bullet Journaling has expanded my traditional planning needs and also acts as a creative outlet. I believe Bullet Journaling can be a positive experience for anyone. Through this article, I will provide some tips on how to get started and share some of my favorite Bullet Journaling practices.

Getting started:

To begin your Bullet Journal you really only need three things: a notebook, some fun pens, and an interest in beginning the journey. I use a dotted Moleskin journal and fine tip Sharpie Pens, but the supplies you need are really up to you. Many journalers use Washi tape for decoration and also paste in inspiring quotes or images from magazines or newspapers.

What to track:

ANYTHING. Honestly, you can track absolutely anything in your Bullet Journal. Personally, I track my mood daily as well as things like water intake, how much sleep I got, how long I spent studying that day, and whether or not I exercised. I find my mood tracker to be the most helpful. I have a different color to represent a different overall mood for the day, such as: average, happy/loved, productive/energized, and sad/stressed. I then write down an observation about my day and take notice of what ultimately affected my mood. Other ideas include books read, movies you want to see, goals for the year, budgeting, and many, many more.

How to plan:

I use my Bullet Journal as a glorified planner. I create a new, unique layout for each week. This is where I let my creativity run free. Designing my weekly layout each week has the same kind of anti-stress benefits for me as coloring (another one of my hobbies). I also plan out each day individually and what I hope to accomplish. Alongside my plans for the day, I include assignment deadlines. This gives me the satisfied feeling of checking off my tasks as I accomplish them.

These three sections, highlight the biggest questions I had about starting a Bullet Journal. I fill out my mood and monthly tracker each night before bed, taking time to reflect on my mood and the events that occurred that day. This has helped me to realize and take notice of the activities and events impacting my mood and what things I should do less and more often to promote positivity and happiness in my life. I also consider other factors that may impact my mood such as how much sleep I got and whether or not I exercised.

I have just given you the basics of Bullet Journaling because I believe it is an art form to be crafted by each individual but I promise there are plenty of sources out there that can provide you with even more ideas about how to start and maintain your own journal. It's as simple as a Pinterest or Google search. Also, a reminder that bullet journaling is not just for college students, it can also be beneficial for busy professionals, any person looking for a new hobby, or someone who just needs some organization in their life.

I have found Bullet Journaling to be an immensely helpful (and fun!) process. bullet journal has helped me to channel my organization into one small book, foster a creative space, inspire me to reach my goals, and promote self care, all while teaching me more about myself.