The Bridesmaid Handbook

The Bridesmaid Handbook

Because a happy bridesmaid makes a happy bride.

41
The Bridesmaid Handbook
Adele Photography

At some point in every girl's life, she becomes a bridesmaid. Whether it is for a sister, good friend, or future sister-in-law, almost every girl will stand at the altar and watch two in-love people commit their lives to each other. And it is the best thing ever. I'm convinced that the only thing better than being up there as a bridesmaid is being up there as the bride. With that being said, there are a few tips and tricks you pick up once you've been a bridesmaid a few times.

1. Be flexible

Does the bride need all of you to have your hair a certain way? Do it. Has the bride asked you to stop what you're doing and get her a drink? Go get that drink. Remember that it's her day and she will do the same for you when the time comes. Until then, you are the bride's maid.

2. Pack an emergency bag.

There are dozens of different emergency bag lists on Pinterest. Find one that you like and make it! College is the time of life when it seems like everyone is getting married, and chances are you will be in more than one wedding-- invest! Or if you don't want to spend all the money yourself, collaborate with the other bridesmaids and put something together. Pro tip: make sure you pack scissors, black socks, a nice pen, and double sided tape. Just do it, you'll thank me later.

3. Make sure the bride eats

This is the biggest day of her life and you don't want her falling over during the toast because she hasn't eaten anything all day. Pack a couple of good tasting protein bars or peanut M&Ms in your emergency bag and make sure she has something in her belly before she walks down the aisle. And if she says she'll eat during dinner? She's lying. There will be so many people coming up to her and her new husband that she won't have time to pick up a fork, let alone eat anything. See if the caterer is willing to pack a to-go box for the bride and groom so they can eat some of their wedding food later!

4. Make sure you eat

Weddings are parties- you want to be able to have fun and not have a headache by the end of the night! This can be accomplished by eating and and drinking enough water. If there is an open bar, make sure you have enough food in your system that you can handle the open bar. Nobody likes a drunken and cranky bridesmaid.

5. Decorate the car

Are the newlyweds making their exit by way of limo? If so, fabulous! If not, disappear from the reception for ten minutes with the other bridesmaids (maybe even recruit a couple groomsmen) and decorate the car! While cans and streamers can be annoying, window markers are not and you can find them here. Decorating the car with "Just Married!" and "Mr. and Mrs. ___" shows the couple that you love them and really kicks off their honeymoon in style... plus it's a fun way to slightly embarrass them.

6. Get to know the rest of the bridesmaids

Weddings are ten times more fun when the bridesmaids get along. Not only does it make the whole planning process easier, but it means you have people to dance with even if you don't know anyone else at the wedding. Plus you get new friends who will all be sharing these amazing memories with you!

7. Remain calm so the bride can be a storm

Even the calmest bride will have a "bride-brain" moment at some point. Whether it's a concern about her perfectly curled hair or one of the groomsmen having faded black socks instead of black black socks, there will be a minor (or major) freakout at some point during the day. Your job is to remain calm and handle the situation with grace and poise so that she knows it's taken care of and can relax on her special day.

8. Have fun!

A wedding is a celebration! Have fun! Dance your crazy dance with the bride, talk to people you haven't seen in a while, and make the most of the day. It's a day you're going to want to remember and you want to remember it being fun. Most importantly, remember that the bride picked you to be her bridesmaid because you are one of her closest friends- enjoy it! Live out your role in her wedding and make the most of spending time with your friend who will soon be married.