Breaking The Internet: Body Image

Breaking The Internet: Body Image

Let's stop blurring out true beauty.

34
Breaking The Internet: Body Image
Pintrest

Growing up we are conditioned to idolize unrealistic body images. We see photoshopped bodies where every stretch mark is blurred and cellulite dimple is smoothed out. So, obviously we are going to aspire to look like the images we see before us; the ones that are standing high and tall above us in flashing lights. The ones with girls who are flaunting their mid-drifts and long legs in a crop top and heels. And the ones where the really tan, skinny, 5 foot 11 models walk down the Victoria's Secret runway. Why aren't women with curves being represented anywhere? Why is it that if your waist exceeds a certain number or your jean size approaches the - dare I say - number 12, you are deemed plus size? Why does size determine anything? A size 8 woman can walk down the runway in a bra and underwear and rock it just as much as the girl who is a size 0. And yes, both will look equally beautiful in their own unique way! Now I have been on both sides of the spectrum. I have been a size zero and I have been a size 8 and personally I felt no different in my bra and underwear. I felt beautiful both ways but in a discouraging turn of events, society had taught me and so many others to believe otherwise.

I felt especially self conscious of my body when I began to compete in pageants. Although they didn't directly tell me my body wasn't thin enough, they sure did a good job of hinting at it. My platforms would be solid and I would spill my heart out during the interview portions, however when it came to parading myself around in a swimsuit I always seemed to fall short. I am 5 foot 8 and in the perfect weight range for my body. I am healthy according to all doctor standards but for pageants that doesn't seem to cut it. It makes absolutely no sense to me since all pageants claim to only have the swim portion to judge "physical health." Can you not see my physical health if I were to wear yoga shorts, a tank top and sneakers? Is a two piece bikini, high heels, and a spray tan really more justifying? I'll leave that for you to decide. To be completely blunt, the fact that some pageant organizations even allow 14 and 15 year old girls to come out like cattle in bikinis and heels all just to have their body's worth be judged with a number on a piece of paper is absurd and quite scary honestly. It saddens me that we live in a society that puts an emphasis on this, what's even sadder is that we are being lied to about this section of the pageant. They tell us it is to judge physical fitness when its quite clear it's to pick the "nicest" or "ideal body image" for the eye.

These past two years however have definitely taken a turn for the better in the fashion industry. Plus size models such as Ashley Graham and Iskra Lawrence have taken the industry by storm and this is just the beginning. Graham is 'breaking the internet' with her full figured physic being the first "plus sized model" to grace the cover of the famous Sports Illustrated Magazine. Not only did the magazine release this cover, they released two others in order to represent all body types. The other two magazines featured girls with athletic builds and more lean, lanky builds. Iskra Lawrence partnered with Aerie to promote their "No Retouching" campaign in which the clothing company basically just portrays real women in their shoots. That means stretch marks, cellulite, and stomach lines! All things that make us girls real. This is beautiful! This is what we should be doing. Promoting all body types! Empowering and showing off all women!

What I'm trying to express is that we need to start accepting one another. However, self acceptance starts at home. Start accepting yourself and if you aren't the healthiest, start choosing healthier lifestyle options and do it because YOU want to. DO NOT let anyone ever tell you that your size will determine whether or not you will be successful in something. It's time to start thinking real and it's time to get real. It is 2016, lets stop blurring out true beauty.

And remember...

XOXO