The Meaning Behind Ariana's 'break up with your girlfriend, i'm bored'
Music

You're Probably Listening To 'break up with your girlfriend, i'm bored' All Wrong

If you listened to the newest Ariana track, then you're probably listening to it wrong.

91
Ariana Grande / Instagram

If you haven't heard "break up with your girlfriend," then really where have you been?! It seems as if 2019 is going to be the year of Ariana. Her newest album, "thank u, next" has been long awaited and anticipated by many. But when this particular track dropped it made a lot of heads turn and lash out on social media.

Without even examining the song, let's first look at Ariana herself. She is someone who has always promoted self-love and female empowerment from the beginning of her career. As she has evolved as an artist and a human being, so has her work. Her lighter pop songs have now become true pieces of art, each with their own stories.

This album as a whole has tackled real and raw emotions associated with life, loss, and love. So why would she then negate all of that and create a song promoting the total opposite?

I think that the majority of listeners — including myself — when first hearing this song assumed that it is simply about a girl getting a guy to dump his girlfriend so that he can be with her. Red flags are all around in the title and the seductive lyrics, it would logically lead one to believe this. However, with some deeper digging and true critical listening, the true meaning can be uncovered.

The lyrics themselves don't speak to my argument without the inclusion of the music video. Hannah Lux Davis is the brilliant director behind all of the videos from the "thank u, next" album, including "thank u, next" and "7 rings." The music video is displaying Ariana watching a girl who looks very similar to her with a boyfriend. Majority of the video is her watching from a distance, belting out notes like a queen, and following them around. It is at the end that there is a true "Ah Ha" moment, so to speak.

As the video closes out Ariana is about to be lip-locked with her look alike.

Strange how they look so similar? Not really. The entire concept behind this is that she needs to be alone to be able to love herself. What's really being said is "break up with me so that I can go love myself."

Now taking a look at the lyrics of the chorus things can become much clearer:

Break up with your girlfriend
Yeah, yeah, 'cause I'm bored
You can hit it in the mornin' (Mornin')
Yeah, yeah, like it's yours
I know it ain't right
But I don't care (Care)
Break up with your girlfriend
Yeah, yeah, 'cause I'm bored

What she is truly trying to convey here is that she needs to get her true self back, because in her current relationship she isn't that. These lyrics are her saying that in her current state she's bored, unhappy and wants more. So before you all pop off about a cheating scandal, think again. Thank u, next.

Check out these two videos below!

Ariana Grande - break up with your girlfriend, i'm bored YouTube

All The Easter Eggs In Ariana Grande's Video For 'Break Up With Your Girlfriend, I'm Bored' YouTube

From Your Site Articles
Related Articles Around the Web