To The Boy Who Broke My Heart, Thank You

Losing you was the best thing that ever happened to me.

681

I went out with my best friend last night. We went bar hopping, drank and had a good time. It was the first time I went out with her on a Saturday night in over a year.

I started a new job and work almost every day now. I'm so busy I don't know what a day off is anymore. It feels nice to not have time to think about you.

I've been going out with friends I never got a chance to see because I always canceled my plans with them to be with you. I tear up every now and then, thinking how thankful I am to still have them in my life.

I finally started getting into writing my novel, I'm on the third chapter and my grad school mentor really liked what I submitted. I even started writing poetry again. Who knew it would take you leaving me to feel inspired again.

I can finally listen to Taylor Swift's love songs again. I was getting sick of replaying the same heartbreak songs over and over and screaming along to them in the car with tears streaming down my face.

I started wearing more makeup even though you always told me I looked better natural. You used to laugh when I'd take off all my makeup and tell me I'm back to being myself. Now my favorite part of the day is putting it all on and taking it off at night.

I started opening up more at work to my coworkers because they saw me break down and be at my lowest. It feels nice to talk about other things than always having to start my conversations with "My boyfriend..."

I started going on long walks and taking better care of my skin because my self-care is so important to me now.

I haven't been depressed or anxious in a while, but if I get like that I'm strong enough to fight it all by myself.

I've been making sure to eat a lot more than I was. I lost a few pounds when you hurt me and my health wasn't doing good. But you're not worth risking my life over.

I don't get sad anymore when I see you're online, see a picture of you on Facebook, or see that you've watched my Instagram stories.

I finally took all the clothes you got me for Christmas and the blanket and donated them. I won't lie, it made me upset, but it's so liberating to not see it piled up in the corner of my room anymore.

I've been writing down goals I want to achieve and everything I have to look forward to. My future has never looked brighter.

I'm getting back into doing things I loved again. It's so nice to not have to worry about someone else for once.

I started wearing brighter colors instead of always black. You wouldn't even recognize me now.

I've been on a couple of dates too. One was at a bar that we stayed at until 1 a.m. We shared two pitchers of Narragansett. Another was at a restaurant in Boston. We ended the date making out on his floral couch at his apartment with Parks and Rec playing in the background. I didn't think about you once.

I started to forget what your face looks like. When I close my eyes I don't see you anymore.

I started to forget what your laugh sounds like. It's been replaced by someone else.

I started to forget what your touch feels like. Because I can still feel someone else's fingers tracing down my face all the way to my chin and how our noses touched when we stopped kissing.

I started walking with my head held high. I always felt insecure around you.

I've gotten used to sleeping in my own bed, it's calming not hearing someone complain about me taking up too much room. How do you sleep at night?

I've gotten used to waking up at a reasonable time. You made me a morning person and I'm thankful to start my days early now and appreciate what life has to offer.

I've been told by people how strong and happy I look and I honestly can't help but smile. You may have broken me then but I'm better than ever now.

This has all happened to me in a month. Because it was over a month ago when you broke up with me completely out of blue. Where you took my heart, smashed it, picked up the pieces, shook them up and threw them into every corner of the world. For a good week, I questioned whether or not I could continue on in life. Because for 15 months you were my life.

You consumed my life and schedule to a point where I felt anxious that I couldn't see you for a day. I told myself if I could go a full week without you it would get easier. Now it's been a month and I can't believe I used to cry in your bed when you left to go to work over not being able to see you that same day.

You told me I couldn't be the only person I would love for the rest of my life. I'm so glad I'm finally coming to terms with that. Because by the end of our relationship I only felt the need to agree with you when you said you loved me. I started using those words without the meaning in the back of my mind.

I know I'll get to the point where I'll be able to look back at all our memories together and pictures and smile. But for now, I have them hidden away on my phone. I'm not ready yet and it's okay.

I don't think I'll ever forget you. You were my first love and heartbreak all in one. But for now, I don't want to think about you.

So boy who broke my heart, I just want to say this; thank you for breaking my heart. Because losing you was the best thing that ever happened to me.

Now if you'll excuse me, there's someone waiting for me to respond back to their text.