A Boyband Saved My Life and I'm Okay With That

"They brought me joy and their music brought me life."

31
One Direction-Official Site

One Direction is known as a “stupid boy band".

However, each member is individually talented. We all know Simon Cowell as one of the harshest judges of all time on any singing or talent show. Simon Cowell, of all people, decided to put them together after they were eliminated from the X-Factor and, eventually, branded them. If Simon Cowell adores them, they have to be more than talented. And, no, when I first started liking them, it was not because I thought they were hot. When I first became a fan, they were still on the British X-Factor. I had accidentally stumbled across their video diaries when I was watching YouTube videos. They told corny jokes and one of them even dressed up as Superman as the diaries went on. They were stupid, but I was the happiest I had been in years.

At this point in my life, depression and anxiety had been so prevalent that I could hardly remember what a true and genuine smile looked like. My eyes had poured out different kinds of tears that night - happy ones. The members were mostly around sixteen years old at this time and I was in eighth grade. I had a favorite of course, but I loved all of them so much that I always felt terrible saying that I had one. My favorite, at that point in time, was being harassed by people saying that he “did not belong". He was the only blonde member and was also the only one not from England. His singing voice was different, but I have never been one to like people that were carbon copies of everyone else. He brought me bliss, which was something I had not felt in years, and it killed me that people were taking his happiness from him.

I have always been very sassy but I had lost myself at this point in my life. When I saw that people were hurting him, I turned vicious and ruthless. I had a cause and, finally, I had a passion. These boys helped me out of numerous suicide attempts, self-harm, and addictions. Sure, they never called me personally and told me to stop anything, but their music and their personalities made me feel life again. For those who have never struggled with these things in your life, it is as if air is gone from your lungs, and that you may be walking, but cannot feel anything going on around you. I felt empty and alone. Their personalities are what drew me in, not superficial things, such as how luscious their hair is.

Many girls now like them because they are attractive, or because it is the latest trend. They are more than the singles people hear on the radio. Heck, I hardly even like those songs. Their albums are what are fantastic, not simple pop songs made to get people’s attention. Their personalities are what make their music so wonderful. To know how far they have come, and how far they are going. I have watched these boys grow into men. These men still eat nachos on stage when they are not singing, and smack each other with their microphones. They're always genuine and that's one thing I will never stop admiring them for.

It has been six years since I became a fan. I have watched a previous member change his hair more times than I could count; Liam go from a boy who never had people come to his Sweet Sixteen and to one of the most beautiful men on the planet; Niall going from being bullied and having few fans, to now be the second-most liked in the group; Louis having a child; and Harry stop dating people that are 20 years older than him. Sure, I've had ex-boyfriends that were always mad at me when my phone’s lock screen was of One Direction and not them, but I wouldn't change it. Sure, I had friends that would get angry at me when I cancelled plans to watch 1D’s newest live video, but I hated social events anyways. And sure, my family always said I was obnoxious for obsessing over people I would never meet, but it never hurt my feelings.

They are more than just songs you tap your foot to or sing at the top of your lungs. They are wonderful people who have changed so many people's lives.

They helped me through depression and more than just hard times in my life. They brought me joy and their music brought me life. To this day, I scream a little inside when their music plays in public, or when they're on the television. They gave me passion again, and they became a big part of my life and who I was. They saved me and helped me to become a better person. If you judge me on that, then maybe it's you that needs to become a better person.