Boston Bruins Update

Boston Bruins Update

General Manager unable to get a top defenseman.

11
Boston Bruins Update
USA Today

Uncharacteristically, the Boston Bruins’ biggest asset may be their offense.

The Big Bad B’s are generally known for their big players and solid defense. However, General Manager Don Sweeney failed to trade for any prime defenseman during this offseason.

Rumors had spread that the team was seeking Cody Franson, a 6-foot-5 goal-scoring defenseman most known for his time on the Toronto Maple Leafs, to make some sort of deal. Unfortunately, it has been confirmed by the National Hockey League that he has signed a two-year contract with the Buffalo Sabres worth $6.6 million.

Sweeney commented that he purposefully didn’t want to sign Franson, because he wanted to see players fight for the position during training camp. Of course, this may just be an excuse for him not being able to land a contract deal.

The B’s preseason will commence Sunday, September 20th. Of course, most of the big named players will not being playing during these games (the risk of them getting injured during a preseason game just isn’t worth the risk). With that said, this will be Bruins fans’ first opportunity to view the playing styles of some of the younger players and prospects.

Will the Bruins offense be enough to carry them into a postseason?