15 Things To Check Off The Bobcat Bucketlist

A fairwell tour to Milledgeville, Georgia

50
Katie Corcoran

I have put myself in a predicament. I am graduating in five months, and now I only have this short time to enjoy my some-what senior semester. I owe it to this little town to bask in all it’s glory one more time before I leave; therefore, I have vowed to complete all the items on my “senior year” bucket list. For those of you non-procrastinators that have an entire two semesters to live up your senior year, here is a list of all the Milledgeville must do’s before graduation. Best of luck, Bobcats.

1) Watch the sunset at Walter B. Williams Park.

Whether it's with friends or alone, or with ice cream or donuts, there really is no better way to decompress after a long day. This hidden gem something I recently discovered and now has become a weekly tradition (with a DQ blizzard). We all know that there’s nothing that even compares to a Milledgeville sunset, so why not enjoy the beauty overlooking a pasture full of cows in a quiet little park?

2) Ride the Milledgeville Trolley.

What really is there to see in Milledgeville that requires a visitors’ center and trolley to take you around this little town? Well, there is only one way to find out. Maybe you’re not a complete history nerd like I am (I mean, who doesn’t like the National Treasure movies, right?) but either way I think it’s important to explore the history that makes Milledgeville what it is today. I also would encourage you to take this historic tour during the last week in October for the “haunted trolley tour."

3) Visit Lockerly Arboretum.

Google defines an arboretum as “a botanical garden devoted to trees." Yes, I did feel the need to look that up, because until my third year as a Bobcat I never knew Lockerly was a place you could go, or that "arboretum" was even really a word in the English language. The unknown is intriguing, and I can honestly say I have never been to an arboretum, and may never really have that opportunity again, so, why not? The trees in autumn have always been my favorite, so you’ll find me there in October.

4) Visit Central State Sanatorium.

The best time of day to make this visit is obviously at two o’clock in the morning when your roommates pile into the car ready for a little adrenaline rush. The hospital is still in use today, but only one building on the main campus remains open as their business office. This expanse of what used to be one of the largest mental health hospitals in the country, now houses empty decrepit brick buildings that send chills up your spine. If you get a thrill from the possible horrors that endured at this hospital, look into the history—you may be surprised at what you find.

5) Chops Endless Wing Night.

Endless wings. Honestly, endless food of any kind sounds wonderful. But, I’ve heard Chops (also known as "Chips" depending on how late in the night it is and how annoying autocorrect can be) has the best endless deal and the best wings in Milledgeville. I know I will give it a try, and all you chicken-loving Bobcats should too.

6) Trivia at the Brick.

Tuesday nights at The Brick are always a fun time. Grab a few friends and make a team for trivia. The trivia can be challenging, but with drinks and some buffalo chicken dip, who cares how many questions you get right? Winners get bragging rights, free beer and a bar tab, but the real winner is the team that has the wittiest name. I still have yet to claim a first prize, but one of these days I will.

7) Eat lunch at Olde Tyme Hotdogs.

If you’ve ever been to Milledgeville, you know where this little establishment sits. For four years I’ve used it time and time again as a landmark when giving directions, but I figure its about time to give this monument a chance and eat some lunch from there.

8) Kaolin “Chalk” Mines.

Now, technically, these aren’t in Milledgeville, but they’re close enough. The pretty white Kaolin against that pure blue water is like nothing you’ve ever seen before but, I will caution you to the fact that most of the land is private property, so use your discretion when checking this off your bucket list. I’m also one to learn from the mistakes of others, so I will say that if you do decide to visit the chalk mines, what looks like solid ground, might not be, so tread lightly.

9) Jump in the fountain.

It's a Georgia College landmark, and getting into the fountain is clearly an absolute must. I’ve always envisioned it something like the opening of "Friends," however, I don't think that I can pull of the “I’m soaking wet and a mess” look as well as Jennifer Anniston can. As an added bonus, you probably could pay off some student loan debt if you “borrowed” some pennies from bottom while you’re in there.

10) Float down the Oconee River.

If it is a warm Saturday early into the school year, grab some friends, some floatation devices, and some cold ones to leisurely float down the Oconee River from the dam to the Greenway. Its fun, its free and a great way to spend a day.

11) Visit Capital City Pizzeria.

One last time and dance the night away like you did as a freshman. Truth is, I’m really not sure if they’ve ever served a single slice of pizza or if that really was the name of the place at one time. Either way, if you want to dance like nobody (or everybody) is watching and relive the carefree novelty of freshman year, there is no better place to do it. By the end of the night you will probably smell like your old aunt Edna that smokes seven packs a day and be as sweaty as an Olympic athlete in the Rio heat, but it’ll be worth it. I would recommend replacing all those precious calories burned dancing with a little early breakfast at Golden Pantry.

12) Visit Andalusia.

This farm was the home of Flannery O’Connor, probably the one and only semi-famous person to claim Milledgeville as their hometown. Honestly, until attending school at Georgia College, I had never heard of Flannery O’Connor, and I probably still couldn’t tell you what her claim to semi-fame is four years later. I figure the best way to figure out who this lady is is to visit her childhood home, which is a farm, and who doesn’t like wide-open spaces?

13) Spend time at the Greenway.

Whether you bike it, walk it, run it, or relax in an Eno, the Greenway is the place to be on a nice sunny day in Milledgeville. My best advice to you is that if you are planning on spending the day in your hammock, the good spots get taken fast, so get there early if you want the prime view of the Oconee.

14) Play Pool at Dodo’s.

I’m not really sure why this made it on my list, or really what the draw to Dodo’s is, but there is something to be said about experiencing a place like the locals would, and I think that in some ways, Dodo’s encompasses that. As a senior, you feel old enough that you can go and mingle with the locals that make it out to the billiards bar on Friday nights, even though it won’t be a regular occurrence. Even if pool isn’t your thing, take the right of passage and do as the Milledgevillians do.

15) Walk across the bobcat head on front campus.

Some of you may not be as superstitious as me and not do side step every time you’re strolling to your classes, but I have made it four years without even a toe on that beloved bobcat, and it's about time for me to gain the right of passage and walk over it without a care.