Small, Black-Owned Businesses In The New York Area

Small, Black-Owned Businesses In The New York Area I Will Spend The Rest Of My Life Supporting

I wasn't aware of how many local, Black-owned businesses are near me.

154

As a white person living in Westchester, NY, I am very aware of my privilege. Here are a few I've recently discovered and have been supporting!

1. Smallcakes in Scarsdale NY

@smallcakesny

This cupcakery and creamery is just a few minutes from my house on a strip of Central Avenue that I drive down at least once a week.

I am quite honestly ashamed that I did not know about Smallcakes until now, but as a dessert lover, I will definitely be ordering from them frequently from now on!

Smallcakes has been on multiple seasons of the Food Network's "Cupcake Wars" as well as featured on "The View." If that doesn't wow you enough, definitely give the cupcakes a try and I guarantee you you'll be shocked at how amazing they are!

These are honestly the best cupcakes I have ever had in my entire life...and I do not say that lightly.

2. Roc 'N' Ramen in New Rochelle NY

@rocnramen

Roc 'N' Ramen is absolutely perfect for when I want something fancier than packaged Ramen at home and I don't feel like going all the way into the city for a good bowl of Ramen.

I definitely recommend Roc 'N' Ramen if you, like me, have intense Ramen cravings sometimes!

3. Alcove Wine & Liquor in Yonkers NY

@bleuroyal

Who isn't having an extra drink in quarantine to keep yourself sane! Alcove is a Black-owned liquor store that you should definitely support if you're going out to buy liquor!

It is so important to think about and research where your money is going and who it is supporting when you are purchasing, no matter what it is.

4. Etsy

@etsy

I have recently been using Etsy a lot more as I am trying to be more ethical with my purchases and try to support small businesses over corporate businesses when I can.

Etsy has a link for Black-owned Etsy shops where you can find anything from beauty products, to paintings and other art, to jewelry and anything else you can imagine!

5. The Honey Pot

@thehoneypotco

The Honey Pot is a Black-owned business that is sold at stores like Target and Urban Outfitters! I definitely recommend purchasing their brand if you are interested in organic feminine products and other chemical free products.

6. Mahogany Books in Washington D.C.

@mahoganybooks

Mahogany Books was a bookstore originally established online featuring books written by or about African American people. They have since opened a physical store in Washington D.C. and continue to sell books both online and in-store.