9 TV Shows With Black Casts You Should Watch
Television Streaming

I love "Friends" and "Boy Meets World" as much as the next guy, but there are plenty other comedic shows out there we can pay attention to.

459
Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

The '90s and early '00s was an incredible time for sitcoms. Unfortunately, some of the most hilarious, most iconic shows don't get much recognition because of the skin color of the main cast.

I've listed shows that I remember watching or currently am watching, with the main cast being black. That being said, here's a chronological list of some shows from the '90s onward with diversity, that often taught lessons and always brought a smile to our face.

1. "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air"

(1990-1996) A fan favorite, we all know and love Will Smith. The theme song basically explains the plot but street smart Will ends up moving in with his rich Aunt and Uncle in Bel-Air and has to adjust to their rules but ends up bringing mischief and fun into their lives. The show has multiple subplots and serious lessons learned about racial profiling, growing up without a father and more. Overall it's a great show and an amazing way to kick off the list!

Memorable one-liner: "I've never said this to a girl before, but baby, you all that and a bag of chips." -Will (Will often used pick up lines)

2. "Martin"

(1992-1997) A funny sitcom that focuses on radio and TV personality Martin. The sitcom was lighthearted and focused on his relationship with longtime romantic partner Gina, Gina's best friend Pam and his best friends Tommy and Cole. The sitcom featured Martin Lawrence playing multiple characters, hit one-liners and good humor.

Memorable one-liner: "Daaaamn Gina!" – Martin (when Gina annoys him or when she looks good, depends on the situation)

3. "Sister, Sister"

(1994-1999) Starring twins Tia and Tamera, the show was about twin sisters who '90s at birth, adopted by two different parents and were reunited at age 14. The twins go through high school together and we get to see the chronicles of their life.

Memorable one-liner: "Go home Roger!" – Both twins (The twins when their annoying neighbor tries to flirt with them).

4. "My Wife & Kids"

(2001-2005) Michael is the patriarch of his sometimes dysfunctional family. The show follows the family as Michael teaches his kids lessons and learns lessons with his wife Jay. The show uses plenty of humor with Michael pulling pranks on his kids, '90s impressions of other comedians, and often making fun of his son Michael.

Memorable one-liner: "Ahhh... nah." – Michael (when mocking his kids or wife)

5. "The Proud Family"

(2001-2005) If you're feeling nostalgic, you can watch "The Proud Family." This animated Disney Channel show followed the Proud family, but mostly their oldest daughter Penny and her friends. Penny Proud is 14 years old and experiences high school with her sometimes flaky friends, over-protective dad and having to be the responsible older sister for BeBe and CeCe.

Memorable one-liner: "PENNNNNNAAAAAYYYY!" – Oscar (when she does something mischievous)

6. "The Bernie Mac Show"

(2001-2006) "The Bernie Mac Show" was about Bernie and his wife Wanda taking in Bernie's nieces and nephew as their own kids. He often uses tough love to parent the kids, but he is seen to have a soft spot for the kids multiple times and crying of happiness in special moments. Bernie will often speak to the audience, breaking the fourth wall, to complain or explain his thought process. The show is humorous and heartfelt.

Memorable one-liner: "I'm going to kill one of them kids." – Bernie Mac (when the kids drive him crazy)

7. "Everybody Hates Chris"

(2005-2009) "Everybody Hates Chris" followed comedian Chris Rock's own life and how he had a hard time growing up. With two parents who were tough on him, an younger brother who was cooler than him, a younger sister that was smarter, and dealing with being bullied at his predominantly white school –– Chris could never catch a break.

Memorable one-liners: "I don't need this, my man has TWO jobs!" – Rochelle (Chris' mom, when quitting her shortlived jobs)

8. "The Boondocks"

(2005-2014) The animated, adult show focuses on a dysfunctional black family that moves into a white suburban neighborhood. The show uses both humor and satire to give perspective on racial issues, mixing of cultures, stereotypes and lifestyles. 10-year-old intellect, Huey and 8-year-old mischievous, Riley and their legal guardian Granddad go through schemes and misadventures.

Memorable quote: "The ancestors already bought and paid for our crown, all we have to do is wear it." –Huey

9. "Black-ish"

(2014-Present) "Black-ish" is about Dre and Rainbow and their four kids Zoey, Junior, Jack and Diane. Dre and Rainbow are both in high paying jobs and are doing quite well financially, but Dre begins to question if he and his family have been victims of assimilation. He begins to try to instill black culture in his homes and family. The show is humorous and can be lighthearted, but relays serious issues throughout. The spin-off show is based on their eldest daughter Zoey and her college life.

Memorable one-liner: "You're boring me." – Diane (when she gets tired off the others, she sees herself as smarter than most of the family)