Yes, I Have Bipolar Disorder And Yes, I Still Function In Society

Having a mental illness does not make somebody less of a person.

172
Emily Mazzola

The stigma surrounding mental illness is extremely strong and extremely negative. People with mental illness are usually seen by society as weak and incapable of normal functions. They are just dismissed as “crazy” or “weird” and isolated.

I am here to break that concept.

I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder in February of 2017. I had previously been diagnosed with depression along with anxiety and OCD. But after my father committed suicide, I decided to reevaluate my diagnoses. I was further diagnosed with PTSD in March of 2017.

I am on many different medications for these mental illnesses. I have a mood stabilizer, a medication for the PTSD and OCD and an anti-psychotic. That probably sounds extremely daunting, but that’s just what the classifications are.

My medication helps me stay level when my biology doesn’t want to be.

This doesn’t make me crazy or psychotic, even if one of my medications is labeled as an anti-psychotic.

I am not just my mental illness.

It is a part of me, yes, and I will never be able to get rid of it, but it does not define who I am. There are so many other things that define me.

Odyssey defines me.

I write on Odyssey every single week, and sometimes, I write more than one article. I was previously a social media Director and a contributing editor for my community, and now, I am an outreach specialist.

Theatre defines me.

I have been doing theatre since my freshman year of high school, and I have been a part of almost every single production we have done. I am the Secretary of my Drama Club and held other officer positions in past years.

My home life defines me.

I have a dog, a cat and a bunny that I take care of. I have multiple plants that live on my window sill and a garden outside. No matter how I feel, I always make sure everybody is doing OK.

School defines me.

I’m not currently failing any of my classes. Sometimes I miss school because I’m not feeling well, but I always make sure to get my make-up work done as soon as I can.

My social life defines me.

I love hanging out with friends, going to dinner or going shopping. I love having sleepovers and spending time with the people I love.

I am not a unique case. I have so many friends with mental illnesses including bipolar disorder that are just like me. We function very well in society. We have plans to go to college and start our careers.

I am sure there are plenty of people that had zero idea that I’m bipolar. You can’t tell just by looking at me.

Having a mental illness does not make somebody less of a person. Please remember this when you meet new people or even when you’re talking to your friends.

Some people hide it very well.