A Big Thank You To Late Night

A Big Thank You To Late Night

You Keep Us Laughing

12
A Big Thank You To Late Night
media.vanityfair.com

In the post election fervor there is one outlet we can all look to as a way to ease both our tensions and our minds. Late night comedy is of course designed to provide satirical commentary on a regular basis. When it comes to politics however, we owe a debt of gratitude to the late night hosts who perfectly and eloquently summarize what we often feel, but cannot say so publicly.

SNL has used it's platform to cover the debates between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton, using Alec Baldwin and SNL's own Kate McKinnon. If you haven't already watched the skits, I heavily suggest that you do. Not only do the imitators flawlessly mock their traits, but they also recap the events of the night with precision. Hillary's casual lean, Ken Bone, and Trump's eerie lurks are all revived, along with mentions of nasty women and bad hombres, providing a seriously wholehearted laugh.

In the aftermath of the outcome however, it has been difficult to find things to laugh at. Protests ensue and hate crimes are increasing by the day. The country seems more divided now than ever before. While the candidates were campaigning, Jimmy Fallon historically ruffled Trump's hair in an ardent fashion on The Tonight Show and Zach Galifianakis laid into Hillary on Between Two Ferns. But the dust has since settled, and the hard reality that these two weren't running for comedian in chief has officially set in.

Bill Maher has created the adage "we're still here", branding this phrase on blue baseball caps in opposition to Trump's red "Make America Great Again" ball caps. The night after the election results, Seth Meyers' monologue was craftfully stated, starting with the bold claim, "Well, that was a real grab in the p*ssy". He went on to say that he's been wrong about everything up until this point, thinking that Trump would never run, and never be elected. Having being wrong about this assertion, he said that Trump will probably be a great president based on the current trajectory/pattern. Meyers' closed by declaring that, "We here at Late Night will be watching you".

Trevor Noah of The Daily Show joked, "If this morning you finally woke up from a coma, well, you might want to go back". In his own pre-show monologue, Jimmy Kimmel compared the attitudes of news anchors changing throughout election night to a child realizing that no one is showing up to his birthday party. No matter where you looked, each channel had something witty to offer, lacing their disappointment with jest.

The saying "if we don't laugh, we'll cry" never rang so true. For many of us, the election didn't turn out the way we wanted, and we may even be really scared or concerned. The best we can do is move forward with a clear and open mind, and a heart full of love and laughter.