Big 12 Bowl Season Recap

Big 12 Bowl Season Recap

OU and Baylor garner momentum and conference credability in huge statement wins

60
Big 12 Bowl Season Recap
Baylor Athletics

The 2016 nonconference slate for the Big 12 offered many chances to make statements and elevate what is considered by many to be the weakest of the Power 5 conferences. Instead, the exact opposite transpired.

Oklahoma lost their season opener to Houston, then got thrashed at home vs Ohio State. Kansas State couldn't upset Stanford. Iowa State fell flat vs Division II foe Northern Iowa, and followed it up with a blowout loss against Iowa in a usually competitive rivalry game. Texas Tech allowed 68 points in an embarrassing loss at Arizona State. Oklahoma State lost - on a horrible officiating call - to Central Michigan. Kansas got shredded at Memphis. Texas won a thriller vs a ranked Notre Dame team, but then dropped a game vs Cal. The win over Notre Dame hyper-inflated UT to as high as #11 in the AP Poll, which was a mistake; Texas finished 5-7, and Notre Dame at an even worse 4-8.

As the 2016 nonconference settled, Baylor and West Virginia were essentially the Big 12's only hopes for a Playoff bid...we all know how that turned out.

Both started 6-0 before taking their first loss. Baylor dropped their last 6 regular season games in a row - a testament to the coaching staff that completely gave up on the team. West Virginia lost two - both at the hands of Oklahoma schools - which eliminated the Big 12 entirely from the Playoff. The regular season storyline in the conference centered around Oklahoma's run in Big 12 play, Baylor's complete meltdown, TCU's disappointing decline, and Texas' mediocre coaching. Lost in the rubble of a failed season was Bill Snyder and his KSU magic. The Wildcats, predicted in the Big 12 Preseason Poll to finish 8th in the conference, hovered under the radar for just about the entire year. Snyder coached his team to wins in 5 of the last 6 regular season games, finishing 4th in the final Big 12 standings.

Despite Kansas State's surprising surge, Oklahoma's heroic run, and West Virginia's overall successful season, the Big 12 was put on life support entering bowl season. For the second time in the three year history of the College Football Playoff, it would be left out. What's more, the choice of expanding to 12 teams instead of 10 ultimately was rejected, resulting in what football analysts felt was a waste of 3 months of planning. The Big 12 limped into bowl season with six teams - two of which were a meager 6-6. Five of the six teams were underdogs in their bowl. How did the Big 12 fare? Here is the breakdown of each Big 12 bowl game, and what the result means for each team going forward:

Baylor 31, Boise State 12

Baylor, who crawled to the postseason with a six game losing streak, was a heavy underdog vs a 10-win Broncos' team. They didn't care. The hiring of new coach, Matt Rhule, gave the Bears a spark of tenacity, and they steamrolled Boise State all game long. The defense, often thought of as Baylor's biggest weakness, was stout and dominant. Freshman QB Zach Smith played well, and WR KD Cannon cemented his ties to the 2017 NFL Draft with a monster outing.

What this means for Baylor going forward:

Baylor's huge win might have been the best bowl outcome for any of the Big 12 bowl teams, and here's why: Baylor desperately needs recruits. Scarred by scandal and muddled with the uncertainty of the next coaching staff, the Bears' win was paramount. It is a momentum builder; a game-changer. The bowl win could have created the difference between a 2 year rebuild and a 6 year rebuild.

Miami 31, West Virginia 14

The Mountaineers took an early lead in the first quarter before completely collapsing and losing control of the game. The WVU defense, which had been solid all season, melted in the second quarter. Skyler Howard finished his career with a very mediocre performance, struggling to pick apart the stingy Hurricane's secondary. Holgorsen had his team prepared to end a great season the right way, but they fell flat and couldn't recover.

What this means for West Virginia going forward:

WVU had a chance to capture an 11th win on the season and set a school record, and while the outcome wasn't what they wanted, the loss isn't crippling. The Mountaineers still look to be contenders for the Big 12 title next season, but with the loss, it opens the door for other schools with more momentum (Oklahoma State) to pass them up and gain a better foothold in the conference.

Kansas State 33, Texas A&M 28

Kansas State ended the regular season riding a huge wave of momentum, and that carried over into their close bowl win over the SEC's Aggies. The Wildcats, feeling right at home as the underdog, had a great blend on offense and a solid defense that showed up when it mattered most. Bill Snyder appropriately got showered with confetti instead of Gatorade after KSU came up with a fourth down stop to win the game. After being overlooked all season, Kansas State finished with an impressive 9 wins.

What this means for Kansas State going forward:

Snyder usually doesn't have big recruiting classes, but the win over A&M definitely boosts chances of hauling in a big prospect. KSU asserted their dominance against bigger name schools, going undefeated vs all Texas programs they played. That in and of itself is great; the fact that they got a win over a competitive SEC West team leaves the door open for a 10 win campaign in 2017.

Oklahoma State 38, Colorado 8

The Cowboys set the tone early on defense, shutting down efforts from the up-and-coming Buffaloes squad. Realistically, Colorado getting 8 points on the scoreboard was a miracle, as they struggled with injuries at QB throughout the game. OSU completely dominated, adding a very balanced attack on offense that methodically ate away at the Buffs' defense.

What this means for Oklahoma State going forward:

Mike Gundy now has three 10-win seasons under his belt, two more than the school had in its' entirety before he came on the scene. Losing the de facto Big 12 Championship to Oklahoma was a tough blow, but the crushing win over a favored Colorado team - who fell in the Pac 12 Championship - gave them all the momentum they needed entering the offseason. QB Mason Rudolph and WR James Washington, one of the best offensive duos in college football, are both coming back for another go-around in Stillwater. All of this is pointing to the 'Pokes being a top 10 team next season and a big time contender for the Big 12 title.

Georgia 31, TCU 23

TCU showed promise in spaces throughout the game, but could never get the deal done. Georgia's scary good run game proved to be too much for a Horned Frogs team that leaned an unhealthy amount on the performance of their inconsistent playmaker known as Kenny Hill. Of all six Big 12 bowl games, this one was predicted to be the closest matchup. Unfortunately for TCU, close matchups demand clutch special teams, and that is the area Gary Patterson's team sorely lacked production. Rough loss for TCU.

What this means for TCU going forward:

The Horned Frogs entered the 2016 season as Playoff darkhorse contenders. Ouch. In one of the more disappointing seasons by a college football team this past year, TCU barely made a bowl game and ended with a losing record. Certainly, Gary Patterson is a good coach...but this is his second losing season in four years. A 25-20 conference record since joining the Big 12 isn't good enough for Patterson, and he faces a tough task entering 2017. TCU, as much as they hate it, might be in a worse situation than their rivals in Waco.

Oklahoma 35, Auburn 19

The Sooners made it 10 straight wins after a disappointing nonconference, dismantling one of the best defenses in the SEC. Mayfield was his usual efficient self. Perine set the Oklahoma career rushing record. Westbrook and Mixon contributed to the lethal offense. After winning the Big 12 for a second consecutive season, the dominant showing vs Auburn boosted their resume for a top 5 start to next season. Representing the top of the Big 12, OU added more credibility to the conference that absolutely needed it.

What this means for Oklahoma going forward:

Oklahoma loses both Mixon and Perine from the backfield, and Biletnikoff Award winner Dede Westbrook is heading to the NFL as well. However, the Sooners are bringing back dynamic leader Baker Mayfield, and that alone keeps then atop the Big 12 as early conference favorites once again. While the defense acted as a sore thumb in 2016, Oklahoma's last two wins of the season should help them win over recruits on that side of the ball that can help them rekindle the dominance.