Bible Verses For The Struggling College Student

"He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart." -Psalm 91:4

274
All Womens Talk

College can be rough, most of us know that and are trying to mentally prepare ourselves for the rollercoaster we're about to get on. Many of us enter our higher education thinking that everything will go smoothly, our classes won't start to overwhelm us, all of our relationships are going to be easy to maintain... basically a perfect life. Sadly, this isn't the truth. As we take on the demands of college life, we start to search for answers to our problems in all the wrong places. Unfortunately, many college students start to fall away from their regular routine of church attendance, prayer and completely trusting in the Lord. Sometimes, we forget that many of our answers are found in scripture, waiting for us to search with open hearts for them. I strongly encourage you to keep your faith a priority in your life and to find refuge in the Word when times get tough. Luckily, Texas A&M, and many other college campuses, have a large community of churches and many organizations that are there to support you in your walk. Surround yourself with people in these communities who will lift you up and encourage you on your journey.

For every reason you may be struggling, there are answers and guidance in scripture. The following list includes some emotions and situations I personally experienced during my freshman year and a few of the verses that I found comfort in. My prayer is that whenever you aren't feeling on top of the world, you will take refuge in the Word and cast all of your worries on the Lord.

If You're Feeling Alone

Hebrews 13:5 - Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.

Isaiah 41:10 - So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

Psalm 23:4 - Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

If You're Feeling Brokenhearted

Psalm 147:3-5 - He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds. He determines the number of the stars and calls them each by name. Great is our Lord and mighty in power; his understanding has no limit.

Psalm 73:26 - My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

Psalm 61:2-5 - From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I. For you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the foe. I long to dwell in your tent forever and take refuge in the shelter of your wings. For you, God, have heard my vows; you have given me the heritage of those who fear your name.

Psalm 34:17-18 - The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears them; he delivers them from all their troubles. The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.

If You're Stressed Out

James 1:2-4 - Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

John 14:27 - Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

Philippians 4:6-7 - Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Matthew 11:28-29 - “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls."

Romans 8:28 - And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

Proverbs 16:3 - Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and he will establish your plans.

If You're Homesick

Psalm 37:37 - Consider the blameless, observe the upright; a future awaits those who seek peace.

Deuteronomy 2:7 - The Lord your God has blessed you in all the work of your hands. He has watched over your journey through this vast wilderness. These forty years the Lord your God has been with you, and you have not lacked anything.

Philippians 4:19 - And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.

Isaiah 26:3-4 - You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you. Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord, the Lord himself, is the Rock eternal.

If You Need Motivation

1 Peter 5:6-7 - Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

Deuteronomy 31:6 - Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lordyour God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.”

1 Corinthians 16:13-14 - Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong. Do everything in love.

Psalm 24:5 - They will receive blessing from the Lord and vindication from God their Savior.

If You're Upset

Ecclesiastes 7:9 - Do not be quickly provoked in your spirit, for anger resides in the lap of fools.

Colossians 3:7-10 - You used to walk in these ways, in the life you once lived. But now you must also rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips. Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with its practices and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator.

Proverbs 15:17-19 -Better a small serving of vegetables with love than a fattened calf with hatred. A hot-tempered person stirs up conflict, but the one who is patient calms a quarrel. The way of the sluggard is blocked with thorns, but the path of the upright is a highway.

If You're Feeling Insecure

Proverbs 31:25 - She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come.

Proverbs 31:30 -
Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.

Galatians 3:26-27 -
So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.

Psalm 46:5 -
God is within her, she will not fall; God will help her at break of day.

Songs of Solomon 4:7 -
Y
ou are altogether beautiful, my darling; there is no flaw in you.

1 Samuel 16:7 -
But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”

If You're Overwhelmed

Psalm 142:3 - When my spirit grows faint within me, it is you who watch over my way. In the path where I walk people have hidden a snare for me.

Hebrews 4:16 - Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

Proverbs 3:5-7 -
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.

Luke 21:19 -
"Stand firm, and you will win life."

If Your Faith Is Struggling

Galatians 2:20 - I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

Lamentations 21-26 - Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, “The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.” The Lord is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him; it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord.

Hebrews 6:19 - We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure.

1 Peter 1:8 - Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy.

John 6:35 - Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty."

1 Timothy 4:12 - Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity.

I hope these verses have given you comfort or relief in knowing that your God is always with you and will never leave you, even in your darkest times. Find joy in the fact that you will never walk alone on this journey and that you are covered by a relentless love.