8 Spoken Word Poems That You Need To Hear

8 Spoken Word Poems That You  Need To Hear

Whether you're new to appreciating spoken word or just want some new favorites, this list is for you.

80

The best thing about spoken word poetry is that it gives the audience someone that says "hey, sometimes I feel strange and terrible things, just like you."

This is a comprehensive list of my favorite spoken word poems for when I need something to relate to, or something to make me sad, or something to remind me that it is good in the world.

And now--in no particular order--the spoken word poems that take my heart out of my body, throw it on the ground and stomp on it in the best way possible.

Andrea Gibson--Living Proof

"Pacing in the mind mangle of being someone on my way to die, asking someone else not to."

Blythe Baird--The Kindest Thing She Almost Did

"She tells me, 'I don't know how to love anyone with my whole being.' And all at once I feel so stupid, and so small as I tell her 'Well, I don't know how to not.'"

Neil Hilborn--You Can't Be Depressed

"The question isn't 'why are you sad?' or even 'how can I help?' The question is 'Do you need a blanket?', 'Can I get you some ginger ale?', 'What's your therapist's number?', 'What kind of sandwich?', 'Where does it hurt?', 'What does the darkness want?', 'Where is it quiet and how do we get there?', 'How can I help?'"

Old Gray--Like Blood From A Stone

"...and the smoke tendrils once midnight black and swirling above your head break away, leaving nothing in your view but the sky. And it is so perfect. And it is so clear."

Rudy Francisco--Love Poem Medley

"And I swear I'm not usually a love poet, but if I was to wake up tomorrow morning and decide that I was going to write about love, my first poem--it would be about you."

Rachel Wiley--The Fat Joke

"'World, it hurts to exist like this!'

'So stop existing like that.'"

Doc Luben--14 Lines From Love Letters or Suicide Notes

"Seven. I've just been too afraid for too long."

Good--BLUE DUDE

"There's music, and nights out with friends, and that tingly feeling you get when your crush says your name."