All Other Films Pale In Comparison

All Other Films Pale In Comparison

Sorry not sorry

6252
All Other Films Pale In Comparison

This article is part two of me gushing about the pieces of art I love most in pop culture. Cinema was invented solely so these movies could come to fruition.

School Of Rock (2003)

I was watching an interview the other day with the man himself, Jack Black, where he said "I can die happy, I've got my School of Rock". That quote perfectly describes how I feel about the film. It's nostalgic (as a lot of these films are) and witty, with a cast full of some of the most talented kids in Hollywood. Easily my all-time favorite film.

Tommy Boy (1995)

Tommy Boy is the first movie I have a memory of watching.There are few actors that can even dream of reaching the level of absurd talent Chris Farley had. Chris Farley and David Spade truly are the best comedic duo of all time and Tommy Boy is the best example of that.

Booksmart (2019)

Booksmart is the all-time best coming-of-age movie. Kaitlyn and Beanie were made to be main characters, they are some of the best talents Hollywood has to offer. Booksmart is full of some of the best comedic timing I have seen on the screen in years.

The Parent Trap (1998)

When I think of The Parent Trap I think of the undying love I had for Dennis Quaid in this film. I also think of the fact that Meredith Blake is exactly the woman I hope to become, get married to a rich man and ship his kids off. Truly an icon.

And of course, I have to mention this career-making performance by Lindsay Lohan.

Beetlejuice (1988)

I myself am the strange and unusual, perhaps that is why I have always connected to Lydia and this film. Everything about Beetlejuice draws me in, from the unreal performance by Michael Keaton, to the songs courtesy of Harry Belafonte.

Accepted (2006)

Justin Long has never done anything wrong. Every single performance of his has been top tier. In my personal opinion, Accepted is the best of the best. The film stars Jonah Hill alongside Justin as they navigate a unique college experience, it's the ultimate pick-me-up movie.

It: Chapter Two (2019)

There was no way I was doing a list of my favorite films without It: Chapter Two finding its way into the top 10. It: Chapter Two might just be the best-casted film we've ever seen. Especially when it comes to Bill Hader playing a young Richie. As a super fan of the book this adaptation was A+.

The Shining (1980)

The Shining is one of those classic horror movies that are universally loved. The performances of Jack and Shelly are a huge reason why this movie is still so prevalent in the horror movie scene. We watch The Shining way too many times every fall, it's almost that time again!

The Wizard Of Oz (1939)

Arguably, The Wizard of Oz is the most universally loved film of all time. Judy Garland was a talent at heights it's likely we will never come across again. There isn't a single movie that fills us with this much-unadulterated joy.

The 40-Year Old Virgin (2005)

Obviously Steve Carrell is a genius. That's clear from everything he's ever done. But The 40-Year Old Virgin was really what boosted him into the mainstream and made Hollywood look at Steve as a guy who could play the romantic lead.

A Nightmare On Elm Street (1984)

Wes Craven was pure genius. He created the most iconic horror movie character of all time with Freddy Kruger. I have has a fascination with the Nightmare On Elm Street series since I was little. They are the perfect mix of horror with a nod to comedy coming from Freddy’s one-liners.

Harry Potter Series (2001-2011)

Let me make something crystal clear, J.K Rowling can screw herself. She was a personal hero of mine growing up and she has completely tarnished that.

However, as the brilliant Daniel Radcliffe has said, what she's done shouldn't ruin what the movies mean to people. The Harry Potter series has acted as a safety blanket since I first saw the second movie in theaters. I have been hooked since I was about six years old. This cast brought my absolute favorite book characters to life, and will always be so prevalent in my life. Hogwarts has always been there to welcome me home.

The Fundamentals Of Caring (2016)

If you want the best of what Netflix has to offer in terms of original movies, look no further than The Fundamentals Of Caring. This film stars one of my favorite men, Paul Rudd, so of course, I loved it. There is so much heart, and so much humor, it's hard to find a flaw. Plus, Craig and Selena were made to share the screen. Such undeniable chemistry there.

Legally Blonde (2001)

Elle Woods is THE feminist icon.

She invented the boss girl mentality and we love that! Anytime I need a pick me up I put on Legally Blonde. you really get the whole ideal movie experience. Drama, romance, humor, and so much heart. And really, you can never go wrong with any movie starring Jennifer Coolidge, she's a national treasure.

She’s the Man (2006)

The blueprint for teen movies. There isn't a duo more fit to star side by side like this than Amanda Bynes and Channing Tatum, the most attractive, absolute superstars. She's The Man, unlike a lot of early 2000s teen movies wasn't cringe comedy, it was actually funny. 15 years later and it still holds up.

10 Things I Hate About You (1999)

Heath Ledger is the absolute star of this film. His leading man quality and undeniable star power is so evident. It's an absolute tragedy the world was rid of his talent so soon. I could talk for hours about how 10 Things I Hate About You is the all-time best teen movie. Also, I am 100% biased because the film was shot thirty minutes from my house and I have been to the filming locations and fallen further in love.

The Perfect Man (2005)

Faze Magazine

I will defend Hilary Duff to the death. She has never, and will never make a bad career move. The Perfect Man made me fall in love with Brooklyn (and Ben Feldman). This whole movie is basically one really twisted, but somehow touching Catfish episode. Long story short, Hilary Duff's character catfishes her mom (Heather Locklear!!) and somewhere in the mix is the the man that plays Burt Hummel in Glee. It's a trip.

Raise Your Voice (2004)

Animated GIFGiphy

Another beyond stellar film in Hilary Duff's catalog. Raise Your Voice starts off with a Three Days Grace concert and then a moment that ripped my heart out of my chest. I was seven years old having a full on breakdown because of how sad this starts off. But it ends beautifully at my dream music school in Los Angeles. You will realize how absurdly talented Hilary is by watching this film.

Knives Out (2019)

I didn't know films could be this brilliant. Knives Out is one film that lived up to all the hype around it, and in my opinion even exceeded the hype. The cast is beyond stellar and is made up of some of the all time greats, specifically Daniel Craig (who will be returning for the sequel). I was on the edge of my seat the whole time and kept trying to solve the mystery, I was way off.

Long Shot (2019)

Seth Rogen is one of the greatest gifts we as humans have been given. He is effortlessly funny and meshes so well with Charlize Theron. This movie is the exact direction I am hoping future rom-coms go. I wasn't seeing all of the normal tropes, the movie was just genuienly good, not a guiltly pleasure, just a pleasure.

Looney Tunes: Back In Action (2003)

Brendan Fraser is a gift. He steals the screen in Looney Tunes: Back In Action and has been one of my favorite actors since seeing this film. Looney Tunes has always had a special place in my heart as it was my baby theme, so naturally this movie was a dream scenario for me. The live action elements mixed with the classic cartoon characters we know and love is the perfect combination.

Hocus Pocus (1993)

Hocus Pocus is a cult-classic. For the rest of time people will look back on this movie and see it's genius. I am still in disbelief that we are getting a sequel, feels too good to be true. Seeing Bette Midler as Winifred again is going to quite an experience.

Every October Hocus Pocus is on a never ending loop.

Easy A (2010)

Easy A was the launch pad for Emma Stone's career, and what an incredible launching pad it was! Easy A has gained somewhat of a cult following. While it wasn't an immediate hit, over the years it's found it's audience. I personally can't get enough of what an incredible watch the movie is.

Twilight (2008)

Objectively is Twilight a good movie? No. Do I think cinema peaked when Twilight came out? Yes!

This film will forever be one of the most iconic to the then-current generation. That's just a cold hard fact. Everyone has seen this movie, or at least heard of it. The cultural impact is still present today. Come on longevity!! I did all the midnight premieres, I have read the series multiple times, I have been hooked for years.

And before you ask, I wasn't Team Jacob or Team Edward, I was Team Carlisle. He's a DILF.

Halloweentown (1998)

Halloweentown is one of the movies that means the most to me in the world. I have met some of the cast, and been to the beautiful town of St. Helens, Oregon where they filmed the movie and fall more in love with this world every time I am there.

Plus, you cant go wrong with Debbie Reynolds.

The Holiday (2006)

I don't know how I went over half of my life without seeing The Holiday. I didn't know I could love Jack Black more than I already did, but this movie only enhanced that. Seeing Jack Black as the romantic lead shows you what an incredibly diverse actor he really is! And yes, I realize other people are in this movie, and I love them all and have rewatched The Holiday at least monthly.

A Wrinkle In Time (2018)

If you haven't seen A Wrinkle In Time, you're doing yourself a disservice. The cast is so stacked I can't even name everyone who makes an appearance. All you need to know is that it includes Oprah, that should be enough to convince you. This is one of those rare book-to-movie adaptations that in my opinion, is better than the book.

And yes, Chris Pine just keeps getting more attractive. Somehow it's possible.

Scooby-Doo (2002)

I will argue with any person who says this version of Scooby Doo isn't top-tier cinema. When you have four leading cast members like Freddie, Linda, Sarah, and Matthew, you can't go wrong. Everything about the film screams nostalgia and takes us back to simpler times of watching this every night on VHS before bed. Also, 'Words To Me' is the single greatest song from a soundtrack of all-time, it also goes over great a bar. I would know because i've requested the DJ play it.

Annie (1982)

Annie has been recreated a million times, this is the only version I will stand by. The others were cute and just fine but come on, Carol Burnett? Tim Curry? Lights out! This soundtrack is one I can listen to over and over and appreciate more each time. They don't make musicals like this anymore, it's tragic.

If there is any bald, rich men who want someone to come live in their mansion, I am indeed available!

Because of Winn-Dixie (2005)

Image Source: Wiffle Gif

I cry like a baby every time I watch this movie during the last 20ish minutes. AnnaSophia honestly never missed with making me ugly cry to movies (I am looking at you Bridge To Terabithia). This movie has always felt like a warm hug to me, I watched it so often during my childhood that it just brings me back to those times.

Hairspray (2007)

At the age of 10 it was almost impossible for me to be more in love with Zac Efron, then I saw him as Link in Hairspray. To this day I have never felt this strongly for a man. Every member of the cast is A+ tier, they knocked it out of the park. The soundtrack has made it's way into my everyday listening rotation, especially 'I Can Hear the Bells' that is the level of down bad I am trying to be.

Love, Simon (2018)

Without fail, I have cried every single time I have watched Love, Simon when it gets to the scene where Simon's mom tells him to exhale. That was exactly the message I needed, and I will forever remember being at an advanced viewing with the cast and Greg Berlanti and bawling when the scene came on. I don't like to play the "changed my life" card, but this movie gave me reassurance no one in my personal life ever had. I am now out fully to all the people in my life and so proud of that.

Practical Magic (1998)

It's honestly criminal that not everyone has seen this work of art. Nicole Kidman and Sandra Bullock are in their prime here, both of them deserved Academy Awards for these roles. I am into all things witchy and dark, this movie is to me at 23 what Twitches was to me at 13. Every October you can assure yourself I watch Practical Magic every other day at least.

Hansel and Gretel (2002)

Silent Hill (2006)

If you were to ask me what the greatest horror movie is, I would hands down say Silent Hill. I have been so captivated by this film ever since my mom dragged nine year old me to the drive-in to see it. To this day I haven't been truly scared by any movie other than this one (and Insidious 2 but we don't talk about that nightmare of a film). If I didn't have asthma I would for sure visit the real life town the movie (and game) was based on.

Sleepover (2004)

Gifer

Steve Phillips? Dream on!

For real though, Julie was in her bag when she scored this man. Just look at him, you can see how fine he is!

Sleepover is a perfect movie, it's THE teen movie, and it's about time y'all recognized that. The cast? Stellar! The drama? Present! The soundtrack? Goes off! Every element you're looking for is checked off. Plus, it features early Steve Carrell! What more could you ask for?

Jurassic Park (1993)

I just watched this movie maybe five years ago for the first time. However, I immediately saw its genius. Obviously, a large part of my appeal to it is Jeff Goldbloom. I mean just look at the gif above. But I do quite like the film as a whole and oddly feel comforted watching it, I put it on when I am sick or just want to lay in bed.

50 First Dates (2004)

Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore are the dream team. Their chemistry is unmatched! 50 First Dates is the blueprint cheesy-in the best way rom-coms. You get a cute soundtrack, the most adorable relationship, and a good sprinkle of conflict.

The Princess Diaries (2001)

Julie Andrews and Anne Hathaway were meant to share the screen. They are two of the absolute best actresses of our time, I am holding onto hope for that third film to be made. Almost daily the song Mandy Moore sings in front of Grove high pops into my head. Truly iconic, this movie shaped a generation.

Jaws (1975)

Now let me be clear, this movie never scared me. I have always loved it and always thought it was the perfect example of why Steven Spielberg is the greatest of all-time. It's gotten to the point where Jaws is a comfort movie for me, sharks fascinate me, so any shark movie I am into! All I want right now is to escape to Amity.

Hook (1991)

If you want a masterclass on what it means to be actor, watch Robin Williams portrayal of Peter Pan in Hook. This entire movie feels like escaping into a realm of childlike wonder. From the fairytale elements, to actors we know and love. I went through multiple copies of this VHS because of how many times I watched this movie growing up.

Dodgeball (2004)

As I said earlier, I worship the ground Justin Long walks on. Anything he is in (besides Tusk im pretty sure that movie is responsible for a large part of my trauma) will be an instant favorite. Dodgeball is a classic, it's one of the few movies that makes me laugh out loud no matter how many times I watch it. A large part of that is because Vince Vaughn is one of the funniest actors working today.

Return To Oz (1985)

If you love The Wizard of Oz as much as I do and want to be scarred for life, watch The Return to Oz. The first time I saw this film I had nightmares about the wheelers, but I have come to really love the movie. It's such a unique take, definitely follows the line of the books in a way the movie didn't exactly do.

Alice In Wonderland (2010)

Alice in Wonderland has been a longtime favorite of mine, but I loved the story even more after Tim Burton put his spin on it. Having an actor with the chops like Johnny Depp take on the role of the Mad Hatter was such a genius move. He is absolutely mad, so it adds up! The world of Wonderland has always captivated me, that's carried well into adulthood.

La La Land (2016)

A young female loving La La Land? What an anomaly!

Hear me out though, it's so hyped up because it's that good! La La Land is such a beautiful movie, and it romanticizes LA, which I also do so I have kinda clung to that. If I am not walking down a pier in LA singing 'City of Stars' soon life will not be worth it.

Uptown Girls (2003)

Dakota Fanning in this movie is pretty much me as a child. The most dramatic main character possible. That was probably my draw to this movie. Now when I watch I am definitely Brittany Murphy, that's called character development baby!

All I want is to have a night at Coney Island like they do in this movie, I am going to NYC in March, so I will be making this a reality.

Letters To Juliet (2010)

Wifflegif

Amanda Seyfried is the moment! Be that in a musical masterpiece like Mamma Mia, or in this utterly adorable rom-com that made me want to move to Verona and fall in love with a British traveler. After watching this movie a solid one hundred times I actually did write a Letter to Juliet. Truly Amanda's impact.

Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again! (2018)

I will die on the hill that the MMCU (Mamma Mia Cinematic Universe) is the best film series. I have become so attached to these characters and their storyline and was certainly not ready to say goodbye. Especially since we we only got one movie with Josh Dylan and Lily James.

Life is short, the world is wide and I wanna make some memories.

Life Size (2000)

Tyra Banks as Eve is genuinely a gift. An even bigger gift is the musical number that is 'Be A Star,' to this day that song is unbeaten. Life Size acts as one of the earliest projects of Lindsay Lohan's, and of course she smashed it! And yes, I could and might write a five page essay in MLA format about the dad in this movie. What a man.

The Clique (2008)

We Heart It

I couldn't end a list of my all-time favorite films without mentioning The Clique. I have never watched a movie that is more quotable. I love every character and have made every friend I have ever spent any amount of time with watch this movie. I am actually going to watch it right now, hope you all enjoyed my compilation of my favorite films!