Best Sights And Attractions For A One-Day Trip To Los Angeles

If you only have one day in the City of Angels, here are some of the top places to visit.

72
Tumblr

Since I was little, I've been fascinated by the City of Angels; I call northern Illinois home and always have, but for many years I've wanted to go to and maybe even someday move to Los Angeles and the greater Southern California region. I've been fortunate that I've been able to visit Los Angeles a few times over the last few years, and I'm almost always captivated by the city. On this trip, we only had one day to see the sights and sounds of Los Angeles; and my parents and I were guided around the city by my mom's cousin, who lives in the area. We had such a fun day and saw so many of LA's must-dos that I thought I'd share some of the best sights worth seeing in and around the City of Angels.

The Grove & The Original Farmers' Market

When my mom and cousin asked me what I most wanted to do with our free day in Los Angeles, my mind immediately jumped to The Grove and the famous Farmers' Market in Los Angeles. We visited the pair a few trips ago on a bus tour but weren't able to stay nearly as long as I would've liked. I loved The Grove's Art Deco style building facades that resemble famous historic districts and alleyways, and I enjoyed the variety and tradition the Farmers' Market offered. Located at the corner of 3rd Street and Fairfax, the Original Farmers' Market has been in operation since 1934. The daily Farmers' Market features over 100 vendors, including toy stores, doughnut stands, pizza vendors, bakeries, and more. Next door is The Grove outdoor shopping center, and the two landmarks are connected by a trolley and street paths. The Grove has also been featured in pop culture and includes restaurants such as Umami Burger and the Cheesecake Factory, and stores like Nike and Nordstrom's. This area is a fabulous place to spend the afternoon shopping or grab a bite to eat, and I personally recommend dining outside at the Marmalade Cafe if you're in the area.

La Brea Tar Pits & Los Angeles County Museum of Art

The La Brea Tar Pits feature a rare opportunity to watch tar bubble out of the Earth, while in the heart of a major city. The La Brea Tar Pits also explain a little of what the Southern California ecosystem was like thousands of years ago and includes statues of some animals who may have inhabited areas that were eventually covered by tar pits and land. Next door is the Los Angeles County Museum of Art or LACMA; the "Urban Light" sculpture by Chris Burden consists of 202 repurposed street lamps and is a popular photograph spot for tourists and locals alike.

Hollywood

Hollywood offers many sights and scenes, including the Chinese Theater, Hollywood Walk of Fame, Dolby Theater, Universal Studios Hollywood, the Hollywood Sign, and the Hollywood Bowl. You might even spot a celebrity if you choose to spend part of the day walking down Hollywood Boulevard.

Griffith Park Observatory

The Griffith Park Observatory offers scenic views of Los Angeles and the San Fernando Valley. The Griffith Park Observatory is one of Los Angeles's most iconic movie backdrops, as seen in Rebel Without a Cause and La La Land. The Observatory is situated on the southern side of Mount Hollywood and is definitely worth a stop to see all of Los Angeles in one place.

Santa Monica Pier & Venice Beach

Both of these famous beach scenes are worth a trip but are very different from one another. Venice Beach is lively and artistic, full of unpredictable personality; meanwhile, Santa Monica, where Route 66 ends, is a blast from the past with a classic pier and beachfront just blocks away from modern shopping malls and city streets. If you can, stop by each beach and see which one suits your personality best, but there isn't a bad choice between these Southern California Oceanside classics.

Studio City & Warner Brothers Studios

Often when popular television shows have live audiences, the tickets to see these shows tape are free and available online in advance. Some shows filming this summer include Fuller House, Raven's Home, One Day at a Time, and the Big Bang Theory. Further, Warner Brothers Studios offers daily tours where guests can see the costumes from the newest Wonder Woman movie, relax on the couch at Central Perk like the characters in Friends, or explore back lots and sets from countless blockbuster movies.

Exposition Park

Comprised of the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County, California Science Center, California African American Museum, and the Exposition Park Rose Garden, Exposition Park has plenty of activities to fill an afternoon in the city. Just a few miles from downtown and blocks from the University of Southern California's main campus, visitors can find these attractions within walking distance of one another. The California Science Center hosts the Space Shuttle Endeavour, which is soon to be turned upright into launch position, an IMAX theater, air and space exhibits, an ecosystem exhibit and more. The California Science Center is also the only place visitors can see a space shuttle on the West Coast, and docents are on hand to explain and share their experiences with the American space shuttle program. In the future, Exposition Park will also be the home of the Lucas Museum of Narrative Art and the Banc of California Stadium, where the future Major League Soccer expansion team- Los Angeles FC-will play.

Beverly Hills & Rodeo Drive

Beverly Hills includes a number of high-end shops and noteworthy restaurants. Whether you choose to window shop or shop-til-you-drop, Rodeo Drive is a bucket list stop for many who have dreams of Southern California.

Professional Sporting Event

The Los Angeles area is home to a number of major professional sports teams, including two Major League Baseball franchises, two National Football League teams, two National Basketball Association teams, two National Hockey League clubs, one Major League Soccer team, and one Women's National Basketball Association team. With the exception of the NFL teams, all but one Los Angeles-based club has at least one league championship while in the Los Angeles area, and many of these teams offer tradition and impressive, updated stadiums.

Bonus: Knott's Berry Farm & Disneyland Resort

While both of these theme parks are technically in Orange County, each one has its perks if you have more than one day to spare in your Southern California trip. Knott's Berry Farm opened in the 1950's when the area was a farm owned by Cordelia and Walter Knott and has become a major tourist destination in the area for decades. Not to be outdone, Anaheim is home to the original Disneyland Park, opened in 1955, and Disney's California Adventure Park across the street. Both Disneyland Parks offer tons of fun for the entire family, and the property is connected to a shopping district and three Disney hotels.