Thank You, Mom And Dad, For This Advice You've Given Me Over The Years

A call home sometimes does the trick.

4275
Kim Dellinger

Usually, when I need some advice, I go to my friends at first and always start with, "So... I need some advice...." and most of the time I get the same responses. When I get myself into some deep sh*t, I resort to my parents to tell me what to do; which can range from school to car issues, to medical records, to boys. Sometimes I get the, "Well Kate, I don't know what to tell you" or the "Well why did you do that?" I have to make my parents proud somehow?

Over the years I have thought about what my parents have told me, especially in college, when I have either called them crying tears of joy or sadness. They always get the brunt of the emotional rollercoasters I go through. They should have known having a girl would be so difficult at times, but luckily they are still surviving with my stubbornness and having to say the same advice over and over again until it sticks.

If they can't take a joke, f*ck them.

I think this is my dad's personal favorite because he will say this to me more than enough times to where I have actually listened and taken up his very compassionate outlook on people who, well, screw you. No parent likes to see their child upset over anything so my dad asks me why I even care and I stare at him with a blank face. He always says this with a smile on his face, kind of like the Grinch smile.

Take care of you first.

Moms know best. Every time I have called her crying over various amounts of things she always starts and ends the conversation with "Take care of you first, you are more important than *insert issue.*" This really taught me about self-love and good riddance to some people in my life. My mom reminds me I am the priority in my life and I need to make myself the priority whether that is dealing with my health, academics or in any type of relationship.

Why do you care what others think about you?

Many times, especially growing up, I always worried what others thought of me because I wanted to be well-liked. My two older brothers have always been well-liked and I always seem to get myself in the, "Oh, you're Andrew's and Robert's little sister." Yes... yes I am. Even to this day when I am miles away from them, I am still their little sister in some eyes. Whether I was trying to impress my friends, teachers or some random person, I would always wonder what they thought of me. Both my mom and dad told me not to care what others think because those who want to "hang with you" will come around and like you for you.

Love you.

Everyone says that "love you" isn't as sincere or nice as "I love you", but this is short, simple and to the point, which is what my family tries to get to because we like to take the fewest amount paths as possible. This doesn't sound like much advice but it is always a little reminder to love each and every day. We all have struggles and have at some point felt like giving up on something but having my parents tell me they love me every chance they get is the best advice I have ever gotten. Just love as much as possible and let those know you love them.

I recently fell across this little number from my father not too long ago and even today, this message is very relevant.

"Don't be resistant to going out with crappy boys that may not appear to be crappy at the start. Personalities always come thru eventually and when it is work being with someone then leave them behind and move on. Don't be in a hurry to find the right guy. It doesn't work that way. It just kind of sneaks up on you when you do not expect it. You have a lot on your plate, so enjoy this part of your life and the time you have with your friends while they remain your friends. This will change with time and so will your friends as you have already found out."

He may tease me and say, "Have you given up on boys yet?" and my response is always an eye roll and a walk away but even my very sarcastic father can give some good advice here and there on "crappy" boys.

Thanks, Mom and Dad for all the advice over the years.