The Best 26 Under 25 NBA Players

The Best 26 Under 25 NBA Players

Unicorns, Processes and Point Guards, Oh My!

260
The Best 26 Under 25 NBA Players
Wikimedia

The NBA is currently filled with young talent, and they aren't waiting to succeed or win. Stars like Kevin Durant, Steph Curry and LeBron James still dominate, but if they aren't careful their spots could be taken by some young, hungry bucks that just a few years ago were watching their idols win championships.

Now idols have turned competitors, and who doesn't want to prove themselves to someone they have always looked up to. To celebrate this infusion of fantastic talent, here are the 26 best NBA players 25 and younger.

DISCLAIMER: These aren't necessarily an overall definitive ranking, just similar players for comparison's sake. Rankings reflect this season, not who teams would want most moving forward.

1. Giannis Antetokounmpo 23 PG-SG-SF-PF-C Milwaukee Bucks

Unicorn, noun: 1. A mythical beast of extraordinary power and skill. 2. Giannis "Greek Freak" Antetokounmpo.

Giannis is the true unicorn of the NBA and is an early favorite for the 2017-18 MVP. Currently averaging an astounding 30 points, 10 rebounds, 4.5 assists 1.6 steals and almost 2 blocks per game, there is no doubt Giannis is one of the game's best, and at only 23 there is so much more to come.

2. Kyrie Irving 25 PG Boston Celtics

Irving is somehow only 25, despite his already illustrious career in which he has won NBA Rookie of the Year, named an All-Star four times, won an All-Star Game MVP, and an NBA title. Now with the Boston Celtics, Irving is proving he can win without LeBron James and hopes to beat his former team to secure a chance at another championship.

3. Anthony Davis 24 PF New Orleans Pelicans

Along with other former Kentucky big man Boogie Cousins, Davis and the Pelicans have surprisingly been one of the lower end playoff contenders in the competitive West. Davis has been heralded as a possible next-big-thing since he came into the league and continues to deliver on that promise.

4. Kristaps Porzingis 22 PF New York Knicks

The NBA revolution will be televised and led by European big men. Both Kristaps and Giannis hail from across the pond, and are almost destined to battle for Eastern conference dominance in coming years.

5. Joel Embiid 23 C Philadelphia 76ers

The NBA's best center both on the court and on social media, Embiid has been incredible. After years of injury questions, Embiid is finally on the court and showing his skill on both ends of the court. The Process is officially trusted.

6. Ben Simmons 21 PG Philadelphia 76ers

Another sensation for the 76ers is 6'10 PG Ben Simmons. Simmons game has taken the league by storm in the heralded Australian's rookie season. Philly fans owe former GM Sam Hinkie a huge thank you for securing Embiid and Simmons. Even scarier for the other teams? Number one overall pick this season Markelle Fultz is still looming and ready to be groomed into another young superstar.

7. Rudy Gobert 25 C Utah Jazz

Besides being an extremely talented player, the Frenchman Gobert is the owner of two incredible nicknames in "The Stifle Tower" and "The French Rejection" as his defensive ability is among the best in the league. After losing Gordon Hayward to the Celtics, Gobert and rookie phenom Donovan Mitchell are ready to lead the Jazz.

8. Andre Drummond 24 C Detroit Pistons

The best players in sports work to get better and fix issues with their games in any way the can. Drummond has gotten better in his already dominant game and has worked to improve his previously horrendous free-throw percentage. Now, the Pistons look like a legit contender in the East.

9. Nikola Jokic 22 C Denver Nuggets

The Joker is another big man changing basketball, but not as much with his scoring or defensive ability, but instead through his passing skill. Jokic has had Magic-esque passes in his short career, and excited Nuggets fans must be fantasizing about playoff possibility with their star center.

10. Karl-Anthony Towns 22 C Minnesota Timberwolves

KAT and Andrew Wiggins have to grow up quickly as the Timberwolves signing of Jimmy Butler has come with high expectations for the team. Towns is a double-double machine, but need to improve the interior defense to be mentioned again with the MVP candidates Giannis and Kristaps.

11. Myles Turner 21 C Indiana Pacers

Turner doesn't always get mentioned among the great young big men in the NBA, but his skills are on par. Turner has to be ready to step up and lead the Pacers after the departure of Paul George.

12. Steven Adams 24 C Oklahoma City Thunder

Adams is one of the most underrated players in the league, overshadowed by his big-three star teammates in Westbrook-PG13-Carmelo, but his stalwart defense and efficient scoring are vital to the Thunder's success.

13. Bradley Beal 24 SG Washington Wizards

Sharing a backcourt with John Wall, Beal has proven himself as a future star in the league. With Wall injured, Beal has exploded including a 51 point game. Wizards must be over the moon to have two of the best guards in the league, but the question of who the team leader and alpha dog will be is looming.

14. Devin Booker 21 SG Phoenix Suns

Dubbed by some as the next Kobe after his spectacular 71 point performance last season, Booker is a talented scorer. Booker is the future of the guard in NBA, a three-point specialist and top of the line scorer, but must improve defensively if he wants to be one of the greats.

15. Tobias Harris 25 SF Detroit Pistons

After being bounced between teams, Harris seems to have found a home in Detroit. Harris works with guards Reggie Jackson and Avery Bradley and understands his role of consistent scorer, and is doing it very well.

16. Andrew Wiggins 22 SF Minnesota Timberwolves

Much like his teammate Towns, Wiggins has high expectations and skill but must improve his defense to be great. Thus far this year, the Wolves have been successful and look to compete in the Western Conference playoffs.

17. Jaylen Brown 21 SG Boston Celtics

Some questioned the Celtics decision to take Brown with the third pick in the 2016 draft, but the Celtics and GM Danny Ainge look to have been in the know. Brown has been great in his second, and Ainge's ability to draft and sign free agents have made the young Boston team among the best in the league.

18. Jason Tatum 19 SF Boston Celtics

Tatum has been a revelation at the forward position for the Celtics after losing Gordon Hayward in the first game of the season. Tatum is already a dynamic scorer, and with Brad Stevens coaching him, has the potential for greatness.

19. Marcus Smart 23 PG Boston Celtics

After adding Kyrie Irving and losing Avery Bradley, the door for Smart to lead the Celtics second unit opened for Smart who has taken the absolute most of it. Smart is talented in all aspects of the game, especially defensively.

20. Aaron Gordon 22 PF Orlando Magic

As seen above, Aaron Gordon is very cool and very good at basketball. Unfortunately for him, he plays for the Orlando Magic so not many people really notice.

21. D'Angelo Russell 21 PG Brooklyn Nets

After a tumultuous but promising start with the Los Angeles Lakers, Russell was moved to Brooklyn to make room for Lonzo Ball. The former Ohio State Buckeye is still talented and looks to be a part of an improving Nets team.

22. Malcolm Brogdon 24 PG Milwaukee Bucks

Brogdon may eventually fade behind Ball, Fox and Smith as the PG's teams fear, but young Buck is one of the most productive young guards in the NBA. After winning the Rookie of the Year last season, Brogdon has taken his game to the next level this year and is an important player off the bench for a Bucks team with playoff aspirations.

23. Lonzo Ball 20 PG Los Angeles Lakers

Criticism and jokes aside, Ball has shown ability and skill. Ball already has two triple-doubles in his rookie year, and his passing ability is head-turning. Ball has to become a better and more aggressive scorer and shooter to remain amongst the best young players in the league.

24. De'Aaron Fox 19 PG Sacramento Kings

The scrappy and competitive Fox wants to be the best, especially if it means he can beat out rival Lonzo to get there. Fox is in a tough position as far as winning goes in Sacramento, but there is no doubt he will give it all he can to change the Kings fortune.

25. Dennis Smith Jr. 19 PG Dallas Mavericks

The uber-athletic Smith has shown flashes of brilliance as he learns to play with a somewhat dismal Mavericks. Smith could become the best guard on the list someday

26. Kyle Kuzma 22 PF Los Angeles Lakers

After his eye-opening Summer League run, Kuz has shown his shooting skill translates into the big league. His hot start has caused some to joke he should've been the Lakers second pick, an encouraging sentiment for Kuzma and Laker's fans who have the luxury of having both players.

The NBA is full of young talent, and fans have lots of opinions. Who did I miss, who did I overrate, who did I underrate?